What is this?

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

What is this?

Postby Amphibian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 pm

I would be interested in a second opinion from the guys who play mix and match regularly as to what exactly this animal is made up of.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What is this?

Postby iiviii » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Ok it's pretty, even though I havn't the faintest clue as to what it is, it still is stunning :) where did you get the photos?
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm

It looks like a normal texes rat snake to me.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby farren » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Well this is a wild guess, yellow rat snake x comman carn snake!!!
farren
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 am

I would say Texas Ratsnake x Black Ratsnake.

Looks very close to a normal Texas Ratsnake, just darker.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:44 am

That looks like a Texas Rat x Black Rat. This conclusion is drawn from the following facts.
The snake is much darker than a normal Texas Rat.
Although the red pigmentation can be seen it is very muted or dull, and appears more as a solid wash than a lined pattern as on a normal Texas Rat.
The head is also not as broad as a normal Texas Rat.

I doubt that there is any Yellow Rat in the mix there, though I must admit, a lot of yellow can be seen in the snout araea of the head.

Still, all in all, a very beautifull specimen. You have just got to love Hybrids.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:00 am

Yellow Rat influence tends to distort the saddles, which I do not see in this particular animal so I doubt there is a lot Yellow Rat in there. Possibly it is a three way cross?

Maybe 25 % Yellow Rat, 25% Black Rat and 50% Texas Rat? Purely guessing here.

Although I enjoy hybrids, I have often raised my dislike of Pantherophis hybrids. They don't really do it for me. If you were to mix Lampropeltis to any other the Pantherophis, it will be pretty, but this just looks like an ungly Ratsnake.

My personal opinion.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 am

Westley, I am inclined to agree with you on the Pantheropis issue.
What I do like about this particular animal however is the rich chocolatey brown as opposed to the normal grey encountered in a normal Texas.
I would even go as far as to say that I see this cross as follows, 75% Black Rat x 25% Texas Rat.
If there is any Yellow Rat in there, then it is 25% Yellow x 25% Texas x 50% Black.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 am

Hey guys, that looks like yellow rat x corn, from wat i know...I had one(female) and then gave to a snaking buddy of mine...It is a very dark green brown colour, alot like this one...just not as dark, which might support the three way cross idea? Anyway the one that I had was dark green, it was then bred with a yellow rat, producing naartjie orange offspring...But i reckon corn x yellow rat x something else? :D
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi guys thank you very much for all your input it is honestly appreciated.
It is brilliant to have such expertise on tap.
I am genuinly trying to establish what this animal is as it was given to me as a Yellow Rat x "something else" my detailed knowledege on the various Rat Snakes is sadly limited.
Interestingly it is becoming more and more evident especially when you look at some of the experienced opinions given that this animal might simply be a straight up Texas Rat Snake.

I would also just like to emphasise that although I have resigned myself to respecting everyones individual opinion on Hybrids and would not critisise anyones interest in them my personal opinion on Hybrids is not a positive one and would not like this post to reflect other wise.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:41 pm

Amphibian wrote:...interest in them my personal opinion on Hybrids is not a positive one and would not like this post to reflect other wise.

I was beginning to worry ;)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Fooble wrote:
Amphibian wrote:...interest in them my personal opinion on Hybrids is not a positive one and would not like this post to reflect other wise.

I was beginning to worry ;)

Don't you have File Snakes Amphibian?
:-P
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:46 am

I hear you JP...problem this thing is BIG sized.
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Man that is one beautiful snake, I am a big fan of the Texas Rat snake, it was the first one I owned, The Mom and Dad was Texas Rat, yet two siblings came out, one a yellow Rat, which I now have and a beautiful cross. I now have the Yellow Female as the Sister Texas escaped some time ago, before I knew how to build a proper enclosure. It is also residing with a black rat and some normal corns. End of this year I will try and breed her with the Black rat. I love hybrids and the new and unique colors that comes with them. Not loving this animal is the same as not loving that first "Steekbaard brakkie" you brought home from school one day and nobody knows what x's is in it, but nothing really matters as it is a brand new animal that deserves the same love as the ones with pedigree.
That's just how I feel about them,
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies