philothamnus crossing??

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

philothamnus crossing??

Postby Aaxel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:50 pm

hi all,

Ive always wondered if different members of the philothamnus family can be cross bred, because gaboon vipers and puff adders have been known to create hybrids, can this happen with any other snakes who belong to a group that are geneticly similar?
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Re: philothamnus crossing??

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

I think it can reasonably be assumed that they will be able to cross breed. Loads of snakes have been cross bred for example: many of the rat snakes, milk snakes, king snakes and even mixes between the three, ball pythons and burmese pythons just to name a few. If I remember correctly even a green tree python was bred with a carpet python once.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I am sure they will be ablt to hybridize, but I implore you not to attempt this.

It is one thing to hybridise exotic snakes as they wil (hopefully) never escape and contaminate the gene pool, but if a indigenous hybrid would escape, the results could be severe.

So yes, theoretically it would work, but don't try it. The resulting offspring wouldn't be much to look at anyway.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Aaxel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:33 pm

westley wrote:I am sure they will be ablt to hybridize, but I implore you not to attempt this.

I was just curious, thats all
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies