Hybrid garters

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

Re: Hybrid garters

Postby gartersnake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:34 pm

I think the camera looses some color, they actually have like a Turquoise color and the pattern is a lot more fine than that of the Chequered garter.
in comparison, I have a young pair of Chequered garters and a pair of the hybrds, size-to-size they are the same at the moment though the Chequered garters are 6 months or so older.

They are now between 150mm and 180mm, estimate.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby @ndy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:13 am

Hey Gartersnake, was your pairing successfull that you talked about in the first post? what did you get from the pairing?
http://www.reptitracker.co.za

0.1.0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli
1.1.4 Thamnophis marcianus
0.1.0 Lampropeltis getula getula
1.0.0 Lampropeltis getula californiae
@ndy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gartersnake » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 pm

I have some interesting news, and would like your info on this.
I believe we have established that chequered garters contain the dominant genes, right?

Now my female albino chequered garter gave birth to 3 DOR young, unfortunately 1st to arrive was the as the other hybrids, looks like a normal chequered beside some small details the second one was a pure red sided coloured one… the third was deformed and well could make out much beside that it was completely black I don’t think it was ready yet.

A bit of a sad loss on my side but it happens I guess; now I would like to know what you guys think about this.

(Unfortunately the wife through the specimen away before I could take photos)
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Sorry for your loss, but stillborns are just one of the repercussions of breeding hybrids.

The problem with hybrids is that there is no way to predict what the babies will look like.

Even babies from the same clutch could be so variable; some might look almost exactly like the sire while others could look like the dam.

It wouldn't be 100% accurate to say that the Checkered genes are dominant as this was just for your particular clutch, but the next clutch could and most likely will be different (as you now see).

I can't really comment on the black baby.

Better luck next time!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby gartersnake » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks westley, what you say is correct, but this being my 3rd hybrid clutch and more coming (they are mating again) and all the young from the normal phase garter (T. m .marcianus)
looked like the mother 3 batches in a row from 2 different mother, even though the 2 mothers were related, don't know if that could mean something?

My suspicion is that could the albino gene have some influence on the dominant gene, because as far as I know in most reptiles (if not all) the normal genes over-rule any other genetic mutation gene, in other words the albino gene is weaker than the normal.

Am I making any sense? I'm confusing myself now lol

Ok... basically, what I think I am asking for is, are there levels on weaknesses and strengths on genes between related species, I'm not talking just about albino, motleys, pastels and so forth on an over all scale?

...now I'm tired...
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies