LEOPARD X SULCATA TORTOISE

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

LEOPARD X SULCATA TORTOISE

Postby yagyujubei » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:27 pm

There are a couple of breeders in the US producing these. Whether they're fertile or not is yet to be seen. Pretty controversial here.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... p?t=379336
yagyujubei
SA Reptiles Member

Re: LEOPARD X SULCATA TORTOISE

Postby Bushviper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:37 pm

This is the reason that Sulcata (Spur thighs) are not allowed for private ownership in SA. If they escape we could have a major disaster on our hands.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby inneshealy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:43 pm

I must admit I don't see the attraction in these hybrids, a normal leopard or sulcata tortoise is just as pretty if not more so
inneshealy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Inyanga » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:21 am

I freely admit to not knowing that much about tortoise species but I could swear I've seen such before, and recently.

This chap breds the things on a regular basis: http://www.reptileodyssey.com/htm/sulcatas.shtml , in the States yes but check out the hatchlings middle row, far right, I have a photo of an individual "leopard" that is a clone of these four.

Sulcata's are illegal in SA but are there individuals in private hands? Hopeing that snake parks and zoo's wouldnt meddle like this.

Like the man says, I dont like hybrids but I'd adopt one if it needed a home...
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies