Zambian Green House Snake cross with albino (Amel) Male

Interspecies breeding and 2 headed snakes are the type of thing that would be discussed here. We are aware that these are controversial issues and some people feel strongly about their opinions on them. Please respect each other's views and keep discussions amicable.

Postby jackspirko » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:21 am

I would really like to see better pics of that green snake, specifically head shots

I have heard of L. capensis crossed with L. inornatus and L. olivaceus and both produced offspring.

The fertility issues seem to be the biggest problem when people then breed siblings or other hybrids to the offspring. Most hybrids are fertile but must be bred back to one of the source species.

With house snakes though a lot is in very gray areas still. My sources on the crosses are good sources but the question is then are they right about the species. I have one that is supposed to be a L. capensis crossed with a "big green kind from up in the mountains" according to the breeder.

I can't get pics and he no longer has the green snake. I have looked at the female and it is a amel L. capensis so that side I am sure on. My best guess on all the description I have been given is the male was a L. inornatus.

I know Jason Brock bred L. olivaceus blood into some hypo fuliginosus a long time ago. He did it to "put hybrid vigor in the line" since they he has kept the fuliginosus pure in it with no problems.

One tells you it won't work then another does it with out problems, clearly we have a lot of open questions on Lamprophis,
Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the
African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:15 am

Thanks Jack will post some pic's of the green's head and maybe we can understand a little more of what we dealing with. So much unfinished work on Lam. but also very excisted to see the hatchlings anyday now.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:15 pm

Is there a problem with uploading pictures as i tried and can't seem to get any pictures on the system?
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jackspirko » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:42 am

Not sure but if you email them to me at jack@providetechnology.com I will be glad to put them on one of my servers for you to use,
Jack Spirko

African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Green House Snake Head Shot

Postby Sly » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Green House Eggs

Postby Sly » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:42 pm

Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jackspirko » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:23 am

My best guess is that is a green phase fuliginosus. The eye lines are thin but the eyes don't look red as in olivaceus. Not really looking like inortus either. That is just my guess mind you. I also remember Dr Neil Ford telling me that some of the green fuliginosus in his lab tended to produce very long eggs and less then typical fuliginosus. That seems to be what your clutch is.

That could mean another subspecies but hell I am tired of this can of worms and I ain't going down that road so I am sticking to good old fuliginosus on this one as my pick/guess/estimate/SWAG
Jack Spirko

jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Green House Snakes

Postby stevespeed » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:58 pm

My first post so take it easy pls.

I have recently purchased a pair of Lamprophis from ham labeled "Lamprophis Olive"the chap didnt speak a word of english but i bought them on the off chance that they might be inornatus which i have been trying to get hold of for a while,but knowing they where more than likely green phase browns.A day after getting them home the female dropped 7 eggs of which only 3 are viable.Ive poped them all in the incubator just incase

The question I would apreciate somebody answering on how to distinguish between the two (inornatus and fuliginosus) is

Brown house has verticall pupils and the inornatus has round?

Mine have round pupils which arnt red (inornatus) but the underside is not very dark more of a cream colour.

Also the browns acording to my references minimum eggs are 8 wheras the olive is 5.

I know the next question is for me to upload pictures which i will do soon.
I will wait for a shed before i attempt a scale count.

Many thanks,
Steve
stevespeed
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jackspirko » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:33 pm

This may help you a bit

http://housesnakes.net/species-guide.php

I have more work to do on it but have not yet found the time. I believe the easiest way to help indeed would be if you could get a few pic online. If you have trouble uploading or anything just PM me and I will give you my email and be happy to put them on some server space for you.
Jack Spirko

jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Hi Steve, would love to see some pictures of what you bought, this would definetly make it easier to assist you. I just returned from a night drive and found a hatchling Olive on the road. Will also post a pic. Jack can assist you with loading pic's on his site, as i had problems before and Jack was kind enough to help, thanks again Jack.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby stevespeed » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Hi just uploaded these picturees

I stand to be corrected the pupils in daylight are actually verticall, in dim light conditions they looked round.
Unfortunatally shes not too well either,shes sneezing and had a lot of flem come out of her mouth.I lost a few Auroras with the same symptoms this time last year,after the vet perscribed a course of medication they went downhill,the injections i had to give seemed to stress the snakes out.

I am going to keep her qurantined at about 30 celcius and hope she picks up without the injections?
I wonder if this pair where actually wild caught as the male bites like crazy when you handle him and she is in my opinion a little to young to breed yet.

Thanks guys.
stevespeed
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:56 pm

Steve that is not L. inornatus. It would probably be L. fuliginosus.

I hope they dont have lungworm. They are usually pretty tough and should pull through with some heat.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sly » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Steve, yes definetly Lam. Fu., just greener colour phase. Also can see it's female from her size.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby stevespeed » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:20 pm

Thought as much,I have some other options to buy inornatus but they are fairly expensive.Thanks for the help guys.
stevespeed
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Zambian Green House Snake cross with albino (Amel) Male

Postby Durban Keeper » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I would gladly trade a pair of L. Inronatus for a pair of these green phase L. fuliginosus. Thay are much more interesting!

D
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reptile hybridisation and genetic anomalies