Re: Black House Snakes CB Feb 2012

Postby poobsta » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 pm

either way amazing snakes
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Wait for two years. I get 5 total black house snake and now after 2 years 3 are dark green, 1 is nice brown and only one have black (very dark grey) colour. They are all from KZN.

Olive House snake change the colour from baby to adul. One dark green baby have now green/yello colour.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Yes we know this, KZN Olives are darker than most regions in South Africa, these babies are Eastern Cape babies, very very dark for Eastern Cape babies, but as i've said i believe they will lighten up to dark green. We have owned and bred many many Olive house snakes over the years but these are by far the darkest babies we have. LET's see what happens to these beauties in time.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:03 pm

That is very nice, if you dont mind...I would like to post a picture of a juvenile I caught a while ago in Sunderland Ridge. I have caught numerous BHS's on the same premises for the last 4 years and the colour differences are astounding. From very light, spotted to this very dark one...sure is interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Leonthemenace: Hi Leon, BHS are variable in their range it's totally a awesome snake to work with, i have hatched clutches where none of the siblings look even remotely similar to it's siblings, lighter, darker, more spotted, hypo animals all from normal Brown House Snakes.

That is a very nice specimen you have there please up date pics when he/she sheds
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Very beautiful. A white eyestreak would have topped it for me
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:46 am

@ Sly, sorry mate. There wont be updated pictures as i always let them go about 1 km from our factory. I have enough exotics to keep me happy. My wife however is trying to convince me to to keep them again...lol. If i do decide i will purchase CB babies from someone though.
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Sly wrote:Leonthemenace: Hi Leon, BHS are variable in their range it's totally a awesome snake to work with, i have hatched clutches where none of the siblings look even remotely similar to it's siblings, lighter, darker, more spotted, hypo animals all from normal Brown House Snakes.

That is a very nice specimen you have there please up date pics when he/she sheds
. By hypo do you mean genetic hypomelanistic animals or hypo looking? I feel there is so much confusion with house snake morphs or maybe its just me.
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 am

Poobsta: Hypo in looks, some would first have to be proven, there are however Hypo Housies in the market place... there is as far as i know in terms of Morphs: a Amel (Albino) first produced by Richard Boyton/Byron Zimmerman, Desert Ghost (Anerythristic) first produced by Richard Boyton/ Byron Zimmerman, ilumo House snake (Green/ Amel) first produced by Deon Nell, and Butter House first produced by Deon Nell, these are proven morphs.

I stilll disputable hi-bino's and snow house snakes to me alot of these just look like varrying shades and patterns of T+ positive albino's and T- albino's, i'm still to see a proper Snow House Snake and still to see a proper Piedball House Snake.

There are how ever lots of varrying colours of brown in brown house snakes and alot of unfinished work in this arena, there is also alot of animals that need to be classified and reclassified with DNA testing i'm sure alot of these mysteries will be uncovered. Let's hope the guys in the field will dedicate some time into housies.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me sly. I agree one hundred percent, i personally think there is still so much to be done with house snakes and their genetics. I cannot wait to see what will be produced in years to come. We need a few more people such as yourself who are putting in the effort these snakes deserve.
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:01 pm

poobsta: you sound like the perfect person get involved, flush out those Corns and Cal Kings and pick up the Lamprophis torch...haha, from your posts and questions i see another Lamprophis addict in the making..
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vipernhunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Here one from my subadult black House snake. He is a male and now one and a half year old. The colour is black. The adults are brown and dark grey and dark green.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vipernhunter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:51 am

Wow that is really black.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Eyelash » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Very very nice ! Do you know what his locality is ?

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)