Question regarding a possible house snake

Question regarding a possible house snake

Postby LukeMelaia1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:16 am

Image URL: http://i.imgur.com/hDBKJ8W.jpg
Sorry its not directly on the page as it did not render correctly.

What i am wondering is if this snake is dangerous eg. bites, constricting, spitting, ect, if it would be safe to handle and what type of snake it is?,
I found this snake coiled around an tv cord and trying to figure out what i saw violently shook the cord and saw this little guy flop out and climb quickly to the corner rim, where he\she coiled up and did not move. I think the black spot on the side of the head could be damage as i was not expecting him to be there and did not take precaution.

He movements are rather slow and cautious while not aggressive, although he did try and bite the stick when agitated rather annoyingly. he seamed to want to run rather than attack as he tried to escape multiple times before striking.

His length is about 15cm and about the size of a normal pencil, i believe him to be a baby as about 2 days ago i saw a similar snake about 23cm long and twice the width in my bathroom but did not do much as i live on a plot and see snakes often and do not interfere as they don't bother me and simply move on, but as this is the second one i have seen i believe there to be more and would like to know what to do.

I would also like to know how to go about capturing them as he was rather hard to capture being in a tight corner like that.

Sorry for any spelling\grammar mistakes as i typed this quickly and my writing is out of practice.

Thanks, Luke.
LukeMelaia1
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Question regarding a possible house snake

Postby Amphibian » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:23 am

The snake is a Red Lipped Herald and harmless.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 am

Well they are back fanged and although the venom has no effect on humans , if you're allergic to bee's I'd avoid trying to get bitten just to be on the safe side, but I agree with Amphibian as they are basically Harmless
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:53 pm

Herper wrote:if you're allergic to bee's I'd avoid trying to get bitten

Herper could you please expand on that advice.I have never heard of this connection between bees and Herald snakes before.Could you perhaps post a link to some studies showing the mechanisms involved.Thanks Tony
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herper » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Since a bee sting allergy is the bodies own immune reaction/response to the bee venom, as a rule I personally would advise people just to be aware of it since the complex nature of even harmless venom like that of a Red lip and could trigger a reaction and not to go testing fate.

But here is a interesting article
http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2 ... s-say.html
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
Herper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to House snakes (Lamprophis/Boaedon sp.)