HELP! - Green tree python vs. mold

HELP! - Green tree python vs. mold

Postby Brennanm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi there,

I have recently bought a baby green tree python who is probably about 30cm now. She is in a full glass tank so i have run a pipe from an air pump into the tank for some clean air. Problem is, i saw some mold growing on the wood on friday and when i came in this morning, it has completely taken over one corner and started making like a carpet of mold. Im worried that it grows out of control as i imagine that is not good fer her.

How can i get rid of this mold fast!!??

PS: the humidity at the moment is 70 to 80%.............is this too much?
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Re: HELP! - Green tree python vs. mold

Postby Bushviper » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:26 pm

The cage needs to dry out every day. This is usually done during the night. You need to change your cage to get a better ventilation going. Put a screen mesh lid which you can cover for a few hours and leave open for the rest of the time.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Brennanm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Bushviper for the response. I agree with what you are saying but the tank is a 3 meter tank with different compartments so it cannot be changed. For now, do you think it is a good idea to upgrade the air pump to give more flow? Right now the air is kind of trickling in. Just for now till i can make a more permanent change?
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 pm

I would seriously consider moving the snake into a more suitable cage for the time being. Even a well ventilated large tub would be a good idea. You have no idea what kind of spores that mould is releasing that your Snake could be breathing in. Rather safe than sorry: )
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Brennanm,

This might be off topic. Quick question. You say its a she, has it been sexed? If so by who and how old is the GTP? Sorry about the questions :D
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brennanm » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:14 pm

@ Jamster, thanks for the info man. Im worried so im gonna try and get the snake out asap as she was too much money to loose. Another problem is that she is pretty aggressive (or just looking for food) so when my hand is on the outside of the glass she strikes at me. So im pretty scared to move her as i have no snake handling experience at all. Ill see if i can find someone that can help me.

@ LAMB pythons, to be honest i dont know the answer to any of those questions. I bought it at the Expo and the guy that sold it to me said it is a female. I am also not sure how old she is but if my memory serves me correctly i can kind of remember him saying that she was 8 months
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 pm

If you are afraid then use thick gloves or a towel to pick it up.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Hooksticks work very well too.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm

I have a couple of green tree pythons that I bought from graham lotter. They are about the same size as what you say yours is. I definitely agree on the comment about moving your GTP to a more suitable cage. From the research I've done GTP'S the size/age as yours are best suited in a plastic tub either 8l or 11l until about 18 months of age. It might not be pleasing on the eye but the snakes well being should come first. Smaller GTP's get stressed far to much in larger cages. Hope that info helped.

Pm me if you want any further advice
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LAMB Pythons » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 pm

I don`t want to offend anyone or start and argument. But I`ll be very cautious buying a GTP that`s been sexed under a year old.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LAMB-Pythons/160412530658527 (Feel free to join my FB page)
Neels Van der Merwe, and these are my snakes I keep.
11.13.0 Python Regius (Ball/Royal Pythons)
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
0.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake)
LAMB Pythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blake » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 am

I agree with lamb pythons, a GTP that's been sexed under a year old isn't a wise buy.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brennanm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi all, thanks so much for your responses.

I have just managed to get my GTP out of the enclosure in a smaller tank. Now what is the best way to go about cleaning her tank up and getting rid of the mold and most importantly, prevent it from coming back? I have heard that i should bake the wood in an oven? Does this really work?

With regards to the sexing issue, the snake is merely a display at my office so i don't plan on doing anything else like breeding and so on. Is the sex still an issue?
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:54 am

The only reason the sex is an issue is because it is VERY unwise to sex a GTP at such a young age. Chances of hurting the snake and causing permanent damage is just to great.
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brennanm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am

ooooh ok i get it. Ok thanks for the info. Im not sure if it has been sexed but i just remember always referring to her as a female. Im not really bothered what sex it is i guess.
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Congrats on your new GTP :D , witch is perhaps one of the most beautiful snakes to keep, but also one of the most difficult even if you are not planing on breeding. I would suggest you get hold of the GTP bible in my opinion called "The More Complete Chondro". This is the holy grail for chondro keepers! :smt007 In it you will find all that you may need to know, from why you don't sex this species as young, till what enclosures are best suited for them. You have made quite the investment in this snake do yourself the favor and get the book to.

Btw it is not my intention to hijack the tread or to make you feel bad, but to many delicate species get sold to inexperience keepers at expos by money hungry dealers! :smt021 I pray that they did not sex this snake, as a adult with tail kink is a very sad site to behold. And please don't feel scared or ashamed to ask questions, the book will help but practical experiences from forum members is priceless.
2x Albino Radiated Rat Snakes - Izzy & Yoka
2x Morelia viridis Nakita & Little one
1x Python regius Spider
1x Python regius Cinnamon
1x Python regius Het Albino
1x Python regius Yellow belly
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Green tree pythons (Morelia viridis)