What are Carpet Pythons like?

What are Carpet Pythons like?

Postby J_Bay » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering what carpet pythons are like, in terms of temprement and how they respond to handling??
Are they an easy species to keep, or more difficult?

Also, do any of you guys know who breeds them in Durban, specifically the Jungle Carpet, I love their colour
and markings!! How much do they normall sell for?

Thanks All1
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What are Carpet Pythons like?

Postby sega » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Mitton on the forum specializes in Morlia spp so he would be the best person to ask.I also want to get into carpet pythons so if all goes well i might get a pair of Jaguar carpet pythons in the next year or two.
1.0.0 red tailed boa
0.1.0 snow corn snake,1.0.0 male butter corn snake,1.1.0 candy cane corn snakes,1.0.0butter stripe\motley,amel motley
sega
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:44 pm

Although Carpets can be nippy as hatchlings, I'd say they're one f the best starter python species.

I say that because they are nippy as youngsters but calm down as adults, they are smaller pythons, they are pretty forgiving when it comes to husbandry and they're super easy to care for.

They are quite abundant on the market, so probably if you attend the Reptile expo in Durbs on the 17thand 18th of December (http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26776&start=15) you will find some awesome animals at great prices!

I kept Carpets for many years and I guarantee you wont be disappointed!

If I had to thumb suck a price, I'd say R1500 for a hatchling Jungle, but at these expos you can bargain and if you take a pair, you can get discount.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby J_Bay » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks guys!!

I didn't know there was an expo happening, I'm there like a bear!! I'm torn between these and a Ball...There is just something about the JCP that caught my eyes, I like the head, and of course the gorgeous yellow/black colours...

I'm thinking I'll go for one of these guys, hopefully someone at the Expo will have babies for sale??
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 am

Just to make you aware, the babies aren't as yellow as the parents. They are actually quite dull and drab, but colou up with age.

Have a look at this post to see what good quality hatchlings look like in terms of colour and pattern as well as the colour change towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=8232&start=150

Contact Mitton via PM. He might be able to get some babies down to Durbs for you at the expo. I think he has some hatchlings as well as yearlings from last year.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby J_Bay » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks Westley! I saw a baby at a pet shop a few months ago, it was all black and white, lol! It's surprising to think they go from being so drab to so bright and awesome!!
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby J_Bay » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Also, as far as cage set up goes, do they do ok with just a heating pad, or should put a heating pad in and maybe a low power basking light or CHE to make a little basking spot? I know they're semi aboreal so I was thinking of a basking spot over a climbing branch?
J_Bay
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)