East African Lizards - ID help please

East African Lizards - ID help please

Postby AJP » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:27 pm

These photos were taken on two recent trips of Kenya & Tanzania. I'm struggling to identify most of these of any help would be great. Many thanks, Alex

Chameleon:

Found crossing the road in Tsavo West NP. I was thinking this was probably Chamaeleo dilepis or C.gracilis but couldn't narrow it down to be sure.

Agamids:
Two Agamids from Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary

Female Common agama (Agama agama)?

Spiny Agama

Tarangire Agama - Agama agama?

Lygodactylus Geckos:

Masai Mara - possibly L.capensis, found together so presumably male & female

Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary - possibly L.capensis

Shimba Hills Lodge - L. picturatus or possibly L.mombasicus
Saw similar individuals as Diani beach (on tree trunks)

Hemidactylus Geckos:
A selection from various buildings, largely at Diani. Likely mostly H. mabouia but possibly also H.frenatus from Wasini?

Diani:

Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary:

Wasini Island, Kenya coast
AJP
SA Reptiles Member

Re: East African Lizards - ID help please

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 am

Hi There AJP

Great series of finds. No snakes?

I can offer a bit of insight into IDs, but as a foreigner to East Africa, my IDs are also simply educated guesses.

The Chamaeleo dilepis group are quite difficult for me to differentiate, but from when I was working in the DRC, we found both species; my only definitely observation was that C. gracilis is longer and more slender that C. dilepis. From that observation, I think your animal is C. gracilis.

Your first female Agama I rather think is A. lionotus, which are very common in East Africa. They often have that broken orange lateral stripe like your specimen has. And yes, female of course. I might be wrong, but I actually think that all your Agama observations of of this one species.

In RSA, Lygodactylus capensis is typically very dull coloured with minimal pattern, nothing like the specimen you posted. I rather think your specimen are Lygodactylus keniensis. They actually look a lot like L. stevensoni from Zimbabwe, but of course you were outside the distribution.

And the boldly patterned one, I agree, it is likely L. mobamsicus.

Thank you for the topic. I really enjoyed it!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby AJP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 am

Hi Wesley,

Many thanks for your kind comments and suggestions...much appreciated. No snakes at all which was a bit of a surprise, never easy to track down though.

Cheers

Alex
AJP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby A.l.dodomae » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:54 pm

The ones labeled agama agama are most likely either Agama lionotus lionotus or A.l.dodomae. A.l.lionotus are more common throughout Kenya while A.l.dodomae are more found throughout Tanzania.
A.l.dodomae
SA Reptiles Member

Return to African Lizards