Green basilisk tail enquiry

Green basilisk tail enquiry

Postby Charlie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:51 pm

As you guys probably know I have a green basilisk. What worries is me is the fact that it looks like his tail is dying. Instead of the brown/greenish tail is is now a very light brown. But this is only on the tip.

I hope it is not MBD but i doubt that it could be that, because other than his tail there is no problems with him. He eats like a champ, run on water, bask in his light and he is very active. I know my temps are correct and his humidity is very high. I dust his crickets every day with calcium powder and multivitamins and he has a UVB 5.0 basking light in his enclosure. Other than that i also placed an energy saving light in for him to bask in.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
Does anybody else have the Hibby Dibby Jeebies?
Charlie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Green basilisk tail enquiry

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Whoa!!! I haven't even read the whole post yet and I know what it is, the tail tip didn't shed properly and the tip has gone dead from no blood circulation (like an ambical cord with babies), chances are there is unshed skin. Get a tub of luke warm water soak him in it for a while and with your finger nails gently scrape away the dead/dry skin and keep an eye on it, and if at any point you doubt something take it to a vet, it is not tragic but if that reaches the spinal cord it can cause a very bad infection. I had this with my bosc's monitor, there should be a thread about it under the hospital section with more advice.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Charlie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:13 pm

thanks Buck, the only problem i now have is how to catch the little bastard!
Charlie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:26 pm

Carefully. I don't really know much besides the basics, but I think they also have the ability to loose their tails or am I wrong. If so careful with that!
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Will a basilisk's tail regrow in this kind of case?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:58 am

@ fredsmith :

Nope they do not grow back unfortunately.

But they only lose their tails when suuficient force is used by pulling it.

@ Charlie :

Best way to go is to get a glove on and go slowly.

Beware of the innitial tail swipe, it can hurt, especially across the face.

Pick him up using your index and middle fingerover the neck, and the rest of your fingers supporting the back legs.

Almost like picking up a bowling ball.

You can also try the " Repti Shedding Aid ", that you get at respectable Pet Shops, that also works very well.

Good Luck and keep us posted !

That way you do not go near the tail and you minimize scratches from those claws
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Charlie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:56 am

So if I apply the shedding aid i don't have to bathe him? That sounds like an idea!

I do not mind the scratching and what not it is just that he is so bloody fast that you can't catch him...

When i have applied the shedding aid, when do you think i should considering bathing him if there is no results?

Thanks for the advice guys!!!
Charlie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:37 pm

You don't necessarily have to bathe him, just apply the shedding aid as stated on the bottle, after the desired time has lapsed, spray him down with some room temp water and try scratching the skin off gently after about 20 minutes.

It might take 2 or 3 times for all the skin to come off, but it's definitely better than paying R500 + for infection treatment at your Vet...

In the very unlikely event that there are not results, bathe him straight after the last attempt so as not to stress him out again after a day, get it over and done with quick.

Prevention is in this case a lot better than cure...
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Asian Lizards