chinese water dragons

chinese water dragons

Postby herpcrazy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Hope this post is in the right place. I just want to know if anyone on this forum breeds with green/chinese water dragons. I am looking for a baby but only find adults on the net, like to raise them myself. Would also like to know the price, as on the net the adults go for about R1800.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: chinese water dragons

Postby bubblesharp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

I have only seen one this year at a pet shop so far, It is sold now, but it was R1100 for the baby. I didn't take it because it didn't look all to good at the time. And I will by no means buy an animal too have a huge vet account dropped on top of that price immediately. Although it was probably not that bad and may have been an issue with the wrong setup. The guy also didn't know much about them and said it was his first Chinese water dragon, and he was still learning. So I'm sure the next one he gets will be better off.

Just be careful not to take one just because you found one, check the animals health etc. If you still feel its worth the risk and the animal is not in perfect condition, try and bargain to at least get the animal for a better price. Only pay top prices for top quality animals
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:53 am

Thanks bubblesharp. I also do prefer to buy from private breeders than from petshops. I know there is petshops that do tend to their animals best they can, but I found that in many instances they underfeed the animals, not wanting to spend to much on it before selling it. I found that with a sandboa I bought at a petshop. Mine is more than twice the size than those still in the petshop.

I will hopefully eventually find someone that breeds with Chinese water dragons. R1100 didnt sound to bad though, that is what I expected to pay for a baby.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:32 pm

The only two breeders that I know breed regularly are pet shops. One in Edenvale and one in Durban. They will not have babies this time of the year.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Asian Lizards