Green basilisks

Green basilisks

Postby mikec29 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:04 pm

I,v been offered a green basilisk +- 3 months old for R950! the body is about the size of a match box and they seem healthy and are eating well! how easy are these guys to keep and what special needs do they have? do you think this price is fair? any help and comments are welcome!!!!
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

"We are not retreating -- we are advancing in another Direction."
mikec29
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Desai » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:05 am

Howzit. I am not to sure about the price but that is the value that I have seen them for sale. I have only kept brown basilisks but I do know that they require high humidity, around 80%. Like all basilisks they require a large arboreal enclosure. They are skittish and do not make the best handling pets but I have heard they will eat pinks from your hand. My browns never did that but they would from a bowl. I advise you to do some research on the net before you get yours.
Desai
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:39 am

Desai is right, they don't tame very well but are fantastic little lizards, always active and VERY fast. We keep ours very humid, with plants, they love to climb and jump though so your plants need to be hardy. They also like to run so your enclosure needs to be long as well as have climbing spots, branches etc...I have been told that if you have a big enough water area for them (they need a bathing area as they will sit for ages with just their heads out of the water) you may get to see them "run on water" as they are famous for, when hunting crickets. Voracious feeders and hunters, yes they do take whole pinkies.
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Asian Lizards