Made the news here and was on current affair...

Anything you think we should know about that is not reptile related can be posted here.

Made the news here and was on current affair...

Postby Deon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 am

Keep your friends close to you and your enemies closer.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Made the news here and was on current affair...

Postby shadowfoot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:40 am

He needs to be put in jail not fined a bit of money.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:40 am

What a chop stick, I think he needs to win the Darwin award, for being an idiot of that nauture.
Shocking!
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Qball » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 am

He shouldn'd be allowed to reproduce... weakening the genepool...
Be the change you want to see in the world...
Local is lekker! (well our reptiles anyway)
Qball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:26 am

What an idiot! He doesn't deserve to have children. Poor little girl!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:17 pm

For that I've chucked him into the kid's class. Don't need people like that speaking freely among us.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:08 pm

The reasons for the fine makes no sense ... working within 3m from public and working with the animals in such a way that they are at risk of theft? Are they referring to someone stealing the snakes? (that might not be such a bad thing is this case) or can those snakes steal from the public like the monkeys in the movies?

And did they forget to charge him with attempted murder or at the very least Child Abuse? Because will fully letting a deadly snake bite another human is actually attempted murder. and if a child get burned by a cigarette it is child abuse, so why not the same with a snake bite???

If you de-venomate a deadly snake does this mean we classify it with the fangless and harmless snakes for a while? And if it is successful all he has done is show that he is a free handler without guts, cos the free handlers in the SA Darwin awards at least played with loaded guns. Demonstrating in this manner that a deadly snake is harmless is probably what sparks the start of a free handler.

Why on earth would you let a deadly snake "even if you have de-venomised" it bite your daughter, If he really wanted to show that the snakes are harmless he could let them bite himself, Even though the were harmless (In his words) they still let to blood flowing holes in her arm!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:41 pm

oK so I had no Idea who this guy was so I did some searching around and came across this article, and I want to quote the last statement by him

but first the reason he took the Government to the tribunal
Mr Hoser took the State Government department to the tribunal because he wanted to:
- Hold more than one venomous snake at a time during shows
- Get closer than three metres to the public while handling deadly snakes
- Allow audience members to handle 'de-venomised' snakes; and
- Give venomous snakes to people who are training to be snake handlers.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/deven ... z1V0CM2Vlp

This is the controversial closing statement.

Mr Hoser said he would continue to push for changes to his wildlife demonstrator licence that would benefit public safety.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/deven ... z1V09wMRJt

You can read the rest of the article here. apparently the snake's venom glands are surgically removed by him and thus they are now harmless. The courts found that they are still dangerous. (Most wild animals with teeth is dangerous to some degree). However the actual court decision was based on the fact that snakes have the ability to regenerate. Too my understanding most living creatures can to some extend regenerate some part of its body. I have heard of people who regenerated tongsels (Sorry for the spelling, I'm still only Afrikaans :) ) after it has been surgically removed. Maybe it is not the case with snakes, certainly not all humans will grow back their tongsels, but you only need one deadly snake to regenerate and some one dies.

So if he really wants to make changes to his license for the safety of the audience, the distance between him and them should be made greater. A de-vonomised snake or as he likes to call them "vonomoids" can still bite and it will still hurt as hell as those fangs are still there.

I just cannot grasp how someone that seems to "want" to do so much good ans F it up so badly by their actions in public!!!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:38 am

The venom glands are not removed in their entirety and even the lower jaw has enough venom producing tissue to potentially kill someone. Many people I know are holding thumbs that this actually happens.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Smeegle » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Also, surely forcing any snake to bite a young child constitutes child abuse, even if only on an emotional level?

Venom or no venom, as bubblesharp pointed out it must still hurt like hell, especially to such a young child!
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:55 am

www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby froot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 am

Sometimes stupid hurts, just like it should.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 am

So I guess those hundreds of talks he had lined up are a golden opportunity for a level headed herper to fill the void and actually teach them something.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to News