PLZ SIGN THIS PETITION

Anything you think we should know about that is not reptile related can be posted here.

PLZ SIGN THIS PETITION

Postby it_bit_me » Wed May 22, 2013 1:01 am

Will only take 5min of your time, also pass this around and spread the word!

Why this is important
South Africa has one of the highest crime rates in the world, yet one of the lowest rates of conviction — it also has one of the highest re-offending rates globally. The expansion of a National Forensic DNA Database has the potential to change this situation in South Africa, but it cannot be achieved unless we have enabling DNA legislation to do this. Laws which make it mandatory for all arrested and convicted offenders' DNA profiles to be entered onto a DNA database in order to search them against crime scene profiles collected from crime scenes, will increase the chances of matching perpetrators to their crimes as well as identify serial offenders earlier. Being one of the most exact and scientifically objective forms of evidence available today, DNA evidence in conjunction with a Forensic DNA Database will revolutionise crime scene investigation in South Africa and increase the number of convictions secured. That means it will be possible to prevent many of these crimes, save more lives, and provide protection to the innocent.

The DNA Project, a non profit organisation, has been fighting tirelessly for the promulgation of DNA specific legislation in South Africa since 2005. A draft Bill which has been in Parliament for the last 5 years, was finally approved by Cabinet in April 2013 and formally introduced into Parliament on the 8 May 2013. If passed, this Bill, officially known as the Criminal Law (Forensic Procedures) Amendment Bill B09-2013, will have a profound impact on the criminal justice system in South Africa.
The Portfolio Committee on Police has invited all interested people to submit written comments on the Criminal Law (Forensic Procedures) Amendment Bill by no later than the 30 May 2013.

If you believe that our Government should pass this vitally important legislation, then please show your support and sign this petition today.

If you wish to draft your own submission in support of the DNA Legislation visit http://www.dnaproject.co.za for further information on how to do this

If you haven't done so already, sign our petition by clicking on the following link and show your support to Pass the DNA Legislation! http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Pass_D ... 1/?cWXCWcb
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Return to News