shinglebacks

shinglebacks

Postby Iggy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:59 pm

Does anyone know if anyone is keeping/breeding these (Trachydosaurus rugosus or I think is the correct name) in SA? I think they are just superb!
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: shinglebacks

Postby Iggy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Doh, just thought to do a search and see Bushviper has some! OK, next question, anyone know of any for sale then....
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 am

Even if you are feeling rich then chances are that you still wont be able to get them here unless you bring them into SA. BV would be welcome to sell you and I his trio for all those favours we have done him over the years ;] Be prepared to cough up serious money for trios or more as I believe sexing is far from trivial.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:39 am

There are a pair available at the moment if anyone is interested. Not mine and I just dont have the money for them.

They are easy to keep but are from desert areas and do not like high humidity. Mine dont even have a water bowl. High humidity kills them off.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Zander Marais » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 pm

They are quite common in Western Australia, they are also called bob-tailed lizards over there. Good luck getting past customs though! they even have albinos in some reptile parks down there! Would it be possible to import, I know they don't allow exporting reptiles?, but wouldn't albinos be different?

Cheers, Zander
Zander Marais
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Zander the species is protected so even if they are albino they still belong to that species.

Australia would rather kill wildlife than export them. Take kangaroos or cockatoos for example. Zero export allowed but you can kill legally thousands every year. The examples are too numerous to mention. They have the worst conservation record of any country (even Zimbabwe has a better record).
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Cornelius » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:42 am

These must be nr 1 on my wish list.

Found this on Wikipedia
The species was first described by John Edward Gray in 1825 as Trachydosaurus rugosus.[2] It has since been reclassified as Tiliqua rugosa, herpetologists claim this species has more common names than any other lizard
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zander Marais » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 pm

I know, It sucks.
We went to Perth last year, you can only keep snakes indigenous to that area there(on permit) and then you get to pay about $15 for a large rat. Its not worth the trouble IMO.
Any one who has been to Perth will know about the large flocks of cockatoos flying around there, especially the Galah's and the Corella's. You can pick up a hand raised long beaked corella for about $150 down there. Shortly after we came back we saw a pair of these at a bird farm, they wanted R50000 for the pair. Also, I don't know if they were legal but you can get axelotl salamanders at most pet shops there,yet you can only keep about 28? indigenous species of reptiles there :smt017 . Aussies...
Are land hermit crabs legal in SA? Why don't we see any here.
Zander Marais
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian Lizards