Frilled Dragons

Frilled Dragons

Postby Foxticity » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:02 am

Hi All.

Im new on the forum and would just like to say "Job Well done, and thank you to the members that started this blog and all the members sharing their info with the rest of us"

Im not such a big snake fang (only have 8) but more into my lizzards and monitors.
If got a few questions.

All my reptiles are currently in their hibernation state so they slowed down a bit.

My questions are:

1. If got a possible pair of frilled dragons that I would love to start breeding with. Has anybody bred these lizards and can help me with some info?
If checked many care sheets but everything nis american so difficult to apply. When must I start increcing the temp. and what can I do to encourage Breeding/mating?

2. If got 3Iguanas of which 2 I bought from people that didnt play with them or take proper care of them.
After hours of patience and many scratches they finally allowed me to touch them. If since build them a 1900x1500x700 cage (they are medium size -+ 1.3m size incl. tail) which also helped to calm them down and increase in activity.

My questions is: My one male is still very green but a bit skinny. My other two have started turning dark green with some grey. The big fat one has a bit of orange aswell.
What can I do to Firstly Fatten them up during this cold period and secondly, is it healthy if they start loosing their green affect or what can be the issue? I mostly just feed them green food items and no meat or worms. They get sunlight once a week during the summer and calcium everyday.
They have uvb 5.0 lights, basking and red lights so what can the problem be?

Thank you to everybody that takes the time to read this and help me out.

Much appreciated
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Frilled Dragons

Postby bubblesharp » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:46 am

Hi there,

First off welcome to this sight! I'm sure you will get all your answers answered here. Maybe just add some photo's of your animals, this way people will be able to help you more accurately. Your version of the Iguana being fat or skinny can differ from the image someone has in their minds of what they look like.

Also how old is the iguanas now? I stand to be corrected, but the discoloration may be due to age, I've seen the older ones loosing most of their green. The size you gave is getting close to the size of the ones that I've seen.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:58 pm

yep, can't help you on the frills, but it is normal for iggys to loose their bright green with age, and some of them get a lot more orange as they head into their "breeding colours'...
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:59 pm

oh, and if you are sure your skinnier one doesn't have parasites, you can supplement his greens with some sweet potato and butternut to up his calorie intake a bit...
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Foxticity » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am

Good Day

I have changed the diet of my iguanas and the other 2are starting to fatern up a bit and shed more often. My fat one is gravid. She is heaverly hugh and you can feel the
eggs inside of her. She is currently still in the same cage as the other 2. The cage is 1900high x 1400 long and 600deep.

I filled a cat-litter box with soft play sand at the bottom of the cage. She has stopped eating but the scratching has not yet started.

How long after they stop eating will she lay her eggs?
She is still small so im not expecting a lot of eggs. Hopefully aroung 12-14.

Can anybody help in regards to this time. How long will it take before she lays, Any signals or so?

How long must the eggs be incubated and at what temp?
I think aroung 25 should mostly breed females and around 28 should be males, is that true?

thank you
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian Lizards