Please help me with sexing my Dragons.

Please help me with sexing my Dragons.

Postby Trentonskeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi

Please can someone help me with sexing, I have tried so hard to do this and have watched so many YouTube clips and I get the femoral bumps but I can't make heads or tails of the ....well tails. They all look the same to me. Lemon and butter are pretty obvious because I was told what they are but Chomp (the big fatty) is the one that confuses us so much. We were told Chomp was a boy but he displays none of the behavior of Butter, he does not go Black beard or frantically run around or try climb the walls like Butter. I am assuming here that all boys are like that but these are our first dragons so we are still learning so please correct me if I am off base. :D Lemon the little skinny girl is so delicate and gentle, she is a sweety and snuggles and just flops when picked up and Chomp is the same way. He/she just chills all day and loves cuddles and to be held. Neither try run or escape or anything ever, but Butter is a Houdini and runs at the first chance. I was told he hated being handled by men (his previous owner was male, so I suspect he was never fully tamed) but sometimes he is so relaxed and flattens like a pancake and goes the colour of butter when comfy on us, hence the name :lol:

Now here is the thing....I had to bath them the other day when I was working on the tanks and I thought it would be a good place to introduce them but on opposite sides of the bath. Chomp immediately puffed up and charged across the bath and attacked Butter hard, I pooped myself cause it was totally unexpected. He/she was vicious and while they are the sme length, chomp is Massive compared to Butter and I know real damage could have been done if I had not separated them.

A few days later I had Lemon and Butter on the floor with my kids and Chomp was on my lap and the next second He/she charged straight down my leg (first and only time he/she has ever gotten off me) and went straight for Butter, I grabbed Butter and put him in the tank and when I turned around he/she was going for Lemon. Anyhow today I am holding Chomp again and my son is holding Butter and the next second he ran off my son, up my leg and mounted Chomp doing the neck grabbing thing and all that. Chomp waved his/her arms around like mad and just lay there, I took Butter off and put him back in the tank. But I am totally confused about who is a he and who is a she.

I took some pics of all 3 today in the hopes one of the many experts here can help me figure out who is who in the he/she zoo I am running.

Many thanks.

LEMON (Girl I think)

Behind

Head

Body length is app 40cms

Face so pretty and delicate

CHOMP (???)

Behind

Body length is app 40cm but has a very stumpy tail so with a full tail I suspect Chomp would be well over 50cms.

Head

Face look at that lovely wattle...lol

BUTTER (Boy)

Behind

Body length is app 42cms

Head

Face, hubby calls him Snake eyes.

Lemon & Butter bathing, this was the day last week they were sick and I was advised by the Petshop to put Energade in the water bowl so they could lie in it and hydrate.

Chomp bathing

Thank you :)
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Please help me with sexing my Dragons.

Postby Westley Price » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm certainly no pro, but from what I know, you can see the two hemipenal bulges on the tail the way you are holding it.

From what I can tell, I see:

Lemon: Female

Chomp: Male

Butter: Male
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Trentonskeeper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Male really? But he has such teeny femoral pores. Ok then was hoping for a few more suggestions but I'll go with yours. Thank you :D
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Like I said, I'm no pro.

I was totally ignoring the femoral pores and simply looking at the hemipenal bulges at the base of the tail.

Like on the following link:

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby wadekilian » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 pm

Males also have orange rings around their eyes while females don't. I think Westley's right as I got the same results, just using a different method :-)
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trentonskeeper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:43 pm

I have never heard about the orange eye thing before, always good to get new info. Thank you, I had not realized that males do the waving and slow bob, I thought that was a girl thing. Live and learn hey ;)
Trentonskeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian Lizards