Topic offshoot - Bitis Albanica faces extinction

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Topic offshoot - Bitis Albanica faces extinction

Postby garth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:44 am

Me neither. It may not stop mining, but it may well limit it and other further development within there range.
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby garth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:01 am

I am very eager to see what comes of this and certainly think that Froot has a valid idea with a breeding programme in situ. If you run a programme through bayworld (maybe they can propose it as an APP through PAAZAB, which will give the idea more credability with NATCON) it may take off faster. There will certainly be enough PAAZAB facility support. Will there??
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:11 am

Does anybody have any news regarding this matter? The question is not whether a breeding programme is needed but whether the authorities or organizations have the capacities or experts to run a succesful and ongoing breeding programme. One must realize that practical experience with raising dwarf Bitis neonates require a high level of experience. Maybe start the staff on raising B. caudalis neonates first?
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dasie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:58 pm

silence ? Whats going on with Nat con and the mining company now?? Don't want to be raising dead cows now
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Sorry Dasie but apart from becoming vegetarians and strapping ourselves to some fynbos there is not much we can do.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dasie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 am

Ai, so there goes albanica? What fate does albanica really face ?
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fisks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:28 am

Any update on this sad state of affairs. It seems that there are so many animals at risk in this world. Our large eagles are rapidly dissapearing over southern africa due to habitat distruction. So terribly sad.
Fisks
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GCol » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 am

I do not know for sure but I do believe that EWT (Endangered Wildlife Trust) managed to have a decent range of Albany thicket declared a protected area recently. They had also found adders within that area so there is a population there. I also believe that this a first for any snake species (having an area declared protected for a snake that is?).

Any corrections would be welcome as I have not been following up on anything about this for a while.
Gareth Coleman
GCol
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive