Dwarf Adders

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Dwarf Adders

Postby pitviper95 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:32 am

the guy you're talking about is "SLY",just thought you would like to know @quintin
pitviper95
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 am

I don't think so.. I've recieved stuff from him without any problems whatsoever.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Hi all,

I just want to apologize about my first comments regarding Deon aka Sly.

Because of me being carefull not to buy illegal snakes, i got all my facts wrong. It seems the person in Vereeniging i spoke of, has a personal vendetta against Deon, and therefor lied to me about him.

I really hope that Deon wont hold this against me, as my comments may have led people not to trust him. I apologize profusely!

I apologize to everyone else aswell if I have caused confusion in their business with Deon.

Regards,

Quintin
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:57 pm

DId Deon contact you quintin?

I spoke to him about this matter this morning.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:00 pm

Yes Serpy, he did.

All the misunderstandings are sorted out!

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Good stuff glad to hear it.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pitviper95 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:48 pm

Okay im glad its sorted then,i have nothing against Deon either,just knew it was him you were talking about,thats why i mentioned him.i apologize too,didn't mean any harm
pitviper95
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi guys i was wandering if someone could explain the feeding schedule to me that Armata described, also Bushviper do you have any information on the Bitis Cornuta brood that was born if durban a few days ago, regarding clutch sizes, gender ratios, success on offering food if this has taken place or any other interesting information.

Thanks guys,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:42 am

Well JeffG.

The feeding schedule that I use on mu B. caudalis is a hopper once a month or every four weeks.
I was told by the guy I got them from, one large pink once a week but they refused the pinks.
The reason for this feeding schedule is that in the wild these dwarf adders eat mainly frogs, lizards,etc and rarely rodents.
Frogs and lizards have a lower fat content than rodents and it takes longer to digest a rodent.
When mice are being fed to a dwarf adder once a week their livers have to work really hard to be able to cope with the larger amounts of fat and that is normally the first thing to go in these small adders.
So only feeding them once a month gives their livers time to cope with the high amounts of fat.

Hope that cleared it up for you...
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:22 pm

THanks Whitelipp you have helped me alot and i would like to thank the contributors of knowledge on this topic profusely. I dont know if anyone has studied this but if this feeding schedule is used do wild animals and captive animals reach maturity at the same age and grow at the same rat or does the one hopper a month still provide more fat than an adder would get in the wild?

Thanks guys,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kingspider » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:01 pm

firstly whats wrong with keeping what you have a secret?some ppl just want to enjoy their animals not show off to try be bigger and better than the next guy/gal!
i think the real issue in sa herping is the american bigger better dick wagging contest jus so ppl can put they name out there an sell more animals!!!
stop with this money god stuff and think of the animals for the beauties they are not just captives they are our dependants
you wouldnt talk about your kids like that
kingspider strikes again
kingspider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Kingspider

I understand what you are saying and agree with it, i didnt mean what i said in the context you understood it. My statement was not that we should be showing off in an arrogant way but more along the lines of sharing in this hobby of ours so that we may come to one day recieve pleasure out of what has granted you pleasure and enjoyment. Sorry about this misunderstanding. All our pets are just that, pets and treated as such, from our smallest ball python to our burms all are pets.

Now back to the topic, has anyone done studies on the growth rates of dwarf adders compared to wild adders when the captives are fed one hopper a month versus 4 lizards a month. Do they mature and grow equaly with this feeding schedule or are the captives still being boosted just by one hopper a month?

Thanks guys,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:40 pm

Well, its a long job, but am getting there re feeding regime with wild armata. Firstly, in the wild they never look 'overfed' if i can put it that way, and not too skinny either, I know they take red-sided skinks and cape skinks predominently, but larger adults will also take small nestling striped mouse occassionally. One female first recorded in Dec 2004 was 28cm, she was 31cm in Nov 2007.
My captive female, was 30cm in 2004 now 35cm, on one hopper/month and a two month break. The male who was 25cm in 2006 is now only 28cm, same feeding regime.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:44 pm

Wow 3cm growth in 3 years. Seems you getting similar growth so your feeding regime appears correct.
Ever seen an armata feed in the wild?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JeffG » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:06 pm

That is extremely slow growth, how many years does it take them to grow to the stage where they can reproduce?
Thanks,
Jeff
JeffG
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive