My new babies [B. albanica]

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: My new babies

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks all. Theyre not on mice which is fine by me. Ill keep them on geckos for some time still :)

Anyone want to come view them? R100 for 5 minutes ;)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wvipera » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:19 pm

wow those are really awesome!!!!!
wish i could get my hands on some of those beauties
Wvipera
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:01 pm

Fantastic! Rob you do know that you now have the responsibility on your shoulders to breed them. If you do, I'm sure Tony will see the merit in this and cut you some slack. Thanks for sharing.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:43 am

Hi all
Ok truth be told, these snakes do not belong to me. In fact they are no longer alive.
They were in the PE Snake park collection in 1999. This pic was sent to me a few years ago by a friend who worked there at the time.
Unfortunately they did not last very long in captivity and died within a month or 2.
The habitat of Bitis albanica is being destroyed at a rate of knots and its my opinion that if there was 1 species threatened by habitat destruction its these little guys.
I believe of 5 known localities only 1 remains undeveloped, but not for long.

Anyways sorry to lead everyone on, it was purely for my own amusement but since we are here, I think all who were jealous of me for having these should ask themselves, was it because they are rare and valuable, or because you have a passion and love for these snakes regardless of their value or market status.
Ill check myself too.

Oh and Tony was in on my little prank, I dont think he wouldve slept knowing I have a pair of albanica in my collection :)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:14 pm

rob! I kill you!
For a moment he was convinced,

because I think the fact that not only have love for them, I lived there, maybe it's something illegal but not allow their extinction,
I think one of the few solutions, is the captive for a good time professionals, and if there are professionals who want to dedicate this, our own private!
seems contradictory but it is sometimes necessary to take to protect!
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:18 pm

sorry my English, I just wana participate a lot but not the language I may, I am " powerless"
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Xerophak, I understand you very well.
I n the case of Bitis albanica i is an instance where a captive breeding programme would be beneficial.
But getting it off the ground would be another matter.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Xerophak If I did get some albanica I would tell you ;)

I agree with you for captive programs for species like this, the problem is that everyone thinks they are the right person for the job, including me. Obtaining specimens is an even bigger issue.

Keep trying, it is becoming easier to understand you, your english is getting better mate
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:09 pm

Rob is a great truth, the whole world is seen as the appropriate
but such a serious
imagine that in Spain are the latest latastei, and has the opportunity to obtain, legally or illegally, I will try breeding,
I do not consider myself professional, but if I see that nobody has that program, I would put my account, I'm not " stupid ".

thanks for the support, it seems easier to read the english. but dificult try to express me ufffff much work for me
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby xerophak » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:16 pm

I want stress : if I see that nobody has that program , if nobody profesional does anything
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zookeeper » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Rob you had me going there until I read Armata`s comment then I knew something was up.
Zookeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alan Hyde » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Rob wrote:Hi all
Ok truth be told, these snakes do not belong to me. In fact they are no longer alive.
They were in the PE Snake park collection in 1999. This pic was sent to me a few years ago by a friend who worked there at the time.
Unfortunately they did not last very long in captivity and died within a month or 2.
The habitat of Bitis albanica is being destroyed at a rate of knots and its my opinion that if there was 1 species threatened by habitat destruction its these little guys.
I believe of 5 known localities only 1 remains undeveloped, but not for long.

That's really bad news, I had no Idea that albanica was under such threat. I know i'm over in UK but, if ever there's anything I can do to help this situation just let me know and i'll do all I can

Al
Alan Hyde
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Xerophak, do you know Jose Brito? I know Viper lastei gaditana has declined, maybe there is an opportunity for a captive breeding programme there? Jose is a field herpetologist like myself, but sometimes we have to pull together as will be the case with Bitis albanica.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Previous

Return to Active archive