Monster Caudalis

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Monster Caudalis

Postby gaboon69 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Nice. I knew a guy who kept a 0.8 m Cornuta female. Most of us know that full bites from adult girls are well comparable to enevenomations by smaller sized puffadders. I know of a few guys who have seen an ICU or two due to these snakes. Nice photo. Females that are'nt bred often attain such sizes with greater ease.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:29 am

Really pretty snakes...
Love the painting. It captures the essence of the snake so well.
Thanks Vuduman
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am

0.8m is a giant. Biggest Ive heard of. Do you know for certain that she had never bred?
Im not sure I agree that females not bred will grow larger, its natural, they are designed to reproduce. I have been told it takes more energy for a snake to produce infertile eggs than it is to produce fertile eggs. If for instance you find a 1.4m Brown Housesnake or a 3.5m Black Mamba in the field, both very big for their respective species, Id bet my house that they have bred before.
I have no science to back myself up with so you're welcome to convince me otherwise.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks Fred for the nice comment.

@Gaboon69.I agree totally that a female that does'nt breed as often, can atain greater size.Some snakes you have to miss a whole season after giving birth to get them back in good condition again.I think it takes alot out of them-especially if they where just big and old enough to breed the first time you bred them.I'd say its a case of live fast and die young.

@Rob.A 3,5m black mamba is huge,but not an unusual size.A friend of mine had a 4,25m black mamba.He caught it when it was 3,5m and had it 11years before it died.He never bred with it and he did'nt overfeed it either.

I did'nt really expect this post to be of "my Caudalis is bigger than yours" :)
Its just the biggest I've got 100% proof of and for those out there that has'nt seen them at this size-Here is hard evidence.
Mostly,I thought it would make a nice painting due to her striking colours :)
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am

vuduman wrote:@Rob.A 3,5m black mamba is huge,but not an unusual size.A friend of mine had a 4,25m black mamba.He caught it when it was 3,5m and had it 11years before it died.He never bred with it and he did'nt overfeed it either.

Yeah I know its not the biggest around but its still what would be considered a very large one. That is my point.

Im also not saying ... oh hang on, sorry my bad. I see G69 said "not bred OFTEN" I read it as "not bred" :oops:

Ok I agree.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:43 am

Rob wrote:0.8m is a giant. Biggest Ive heard of. Do you know for certain that she had never bred?
Im not sure I agree that females not bred will grow larger, its natural, they are designed to reproduce. I have been told it takes more energy for a snake to produce infertile eggs than it is to produce fertile eggs. If for instance you find a 1.4m Brown Housesnake or a 3.5m Black Mamba in the field, both very big for their respective species, Id bet my house that they have bred before.
I have no science to back myself up with so you're welcome to convince me otherwise.

I agree with you rob. I had an accidental pairing of a gunstun corn when she was 1 half years of age being just over a meter. She laid 11 fertile eggs, and then two years later growing to an enormouse size of 2 meters she bred again giving me 25 fertile eggs and 2 infertile eggs. My point being for she bred at a small and young age and grew further very healthy to a 2m monster. As far as I know she is still alive and about 10 years old and breeds every second year.

Anybody else with similar experiences?

Henco
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:26 pm

@nvlooi.I think it obviousely varies alot between different species.Oviparous species has a shorter gestation period and therefore you can get them in good enough condition as soon as the eggs has been layd.
But ovoviviparous species like Caudalis has to carry the developing eggmasses, vertile or invertile inside her body for about double the time.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:34 pm

vuduman wrote:@nvlooi.I think it obviousely varies alot between different species.Oviparous species has a shorter gestation period and therefore you can get them in good enough condition as soon as the eggs has been layd.
But ovoviviparous species like Caudalis has to carry the developing eggmasses, vertile or invertile inside her body for about double the time.

What is the average gestation period for B. caudalis?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:37 pm

nvlooi wrote:What is the average gestation period for B. caudalis?

5 - 6 months.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Rob wrote:
nvlooi wrote:What is the average gestation period for B. caudalis?

5 - 6 months.

OMG!! Didn't ever imagine it to be that long!
@Rob - So if they breed in August to September , they give birth between January and March or are there breeding in nature occur earlier?

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:39 pm

It can vary, some of the dwarf adders drop in Spring, others drop in the new year. Some both.

If you add the gestation and the incubation of an egg layer it amounts to a similar time period, generally.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 am

Hi.
Gestation for horned adders can be as short as 4 months.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:57 am

gaboon69 wrote:Hi.
Gestation for horned adders can be as short as 4 months.

Out of interest what time of year was that?
A recent caudalis breeding took 162 days from copulation to birth.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Interesting question Rob. I am not sure to be honest. I can get back to you on that one though.
The next question should be from which locality was it ?
Cheers
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:15 pm

gaboon69 wrote:The next question should be from which locality was it ?

Yes that would be interesting.
As well as whether or not there was anything extraordinary about the size of the clutch, size of babies, and size of mother?
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive