Urgent Id please

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Urgent Id please

Postby Spider » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Bergsma calm down. I'm sure Silvrav didn't mean it like that. You will regret leaving and there is still so much this place can offer. Don't let such small things upset you.
“When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion”
Spider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bergsma » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:02 pm

I was just reading in general discussion on a artical Jen wrote (stop behaving like children) Go and read it and see what Ball"s and All wrote.
Im new on this forum and I see it happening alot. Has happend to me aswell, but it was of my own neglegance (if I took more time and effort I would have found the answer I'm looking for)I don't think that any new member would ask anything just because they might be scared of asking it or the tipe of answer they might get. In my opinion the only stupid question asked is the one not asked. Please take the time to read the post of Jen and then tell me what you think is the best thing to do
2.4 Normal Ball Python
1.1 Spider Ball Python
0.1 Pastel Ball Python
1.0 Het Anxantix Ball Python
1.1 Grey Banded King Snake
1.1 Apricot King Snakes
1.1 White Lipped Tree Viper
0.1 Sunglow Redtail Boa
bergsma
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:21 am

Hi bergsma. Ek het jou glad nie probeer verneeder nie en niks lelik bedoel nie. Dalk het ek jou sine verkeerd op geneem, maar dit het regtig geklink of jy daar aan dink om die Puffy te hou.

Daar sal vir enige iemand, self die "experts", gese word om wilde diere te laat gaan, so dit maak nie saak wie jy is nie. My punt wat ek probeer oordra, vir enige iemand wat die lees, is dat wilde diere moet nie gevang en gehou word tensy daar n BAIE goeie rede is nie.

En "well done" weereens dat jy die slang vry gelaat het.
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:25 pm

I am a little lost here.

You say that "EK HET NOOIT GESE DAT EK DIE PUFFIE SOU AANHOU NIE", but right above that after it was identified as a puff adder you ask, "Great stuff!!! Can I keep it?". How could this have been misconstrued. Every other post congratulated you on the catch and the release !!!

You also say "Im not keen on keeping hots like that " but you have a pair of Copperheads in your signature. You do realise that a puff adder bite would be straight forward to treat while a copperhead bite could cause your death and nobody locally would be able to help you?

Then you blow off steam about a kid wanting to choose between a Copperhead or a Cottonmouth. It would be irresponsible to not point out the problems he could encounter. Last week I was at one of the biggest emergency units in SA and the doctors there wanted to inject SAVP antivenom for a copperhead bite. Just because the kid owns two other "hot snakes" this does not mean he knows what to expect when he gets bitten.

What triggered this reaction of yours?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bergsma » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Yes I have Copperheads simply because I want to learn more about "hots" and they are much easier to work with than other "hots" (yes venoumous and dangerous) and I was told on this forum that the Copperheads are the best starter if I deside to keep "hots". I feel that the more you know the better and I need to know more and with that I gain some experience. I simply wanted to know what would be the right procedures to follow when deciding on keeping wild snakes like permits ens. and yes I would have loved to keep the puffy think its an amazing animal.I thought that this forum was for learning and helping those who do not have the knowledge and experience.Im no expert in the field, but with time I would like to say I know a little something about reptiles. The more reading I do the more I see that those with experience and knowledge tend to be the ones picking on the little guys on the bottom. I don't want to ask a question and get a crappy answer so I just don't ask it and I don't think anyone else wants that either. The things I want to know might be stupid and old to you, but for me its a different thing because I don't know and would like to know. I'd rather go hunting for similar posts than ask the question. If I don't find what I"m looking for then I wait till someone else asks it. I have learned so much from this forum and it makes keeping reptiles so much easier, I started collection and caring for reptiles about 6 months ago and I love it, but I don't know that much, but Im keen on learning. If my reaction was wrong then I apologize but I'm not know for keeping my mouth shut lol, so sorry Silvrav if I was wrong. But please take the time and look into what I said and you will see that this is happening more often to more and more people.
2.4 Normal Ball Python
1.1 Spider Ball Python
0.1 Pastel Ball Python
1.1 Apricot King Snakes
0.1 Sunglow Redtail Boa
bergsma
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:13 pm

The bottom line is you may not remove wild animals and keep or trade in them (except for certain species in KZN).

It is far easier to treat a puff adder bite than a copperhead bite.

Six months experience is not really adequate to progress to venomous snakes in my opinion. I would never recommend them at this stage in your herping career.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm shure most of these people would find indigenous way cooler than "hots" if they ever walked into a real snake collection.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bergsma » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:52 pm

BV i hear what your saying and I feel the same way.

I know I don't have that much experience when it comes to "hots", but how will I know when I am ready to progress to more venomous snakes?
If I may ask, how long did it take you before you got your first "hots"? And how many other reptiles did you keep? And in your opinion what would be the best thing for me to do if I wanted to keep more "hots"? I know that most people say that keeping "hots" is a bad idea, but they intrest me the most. I have been thinking of getting a pair of Purple Mangrove Vipers next, but they are a bit agro and keen to bite. The only thing holding me back at this moment is that I don't know to much about them yet and getting the right info is a bit hard. I am VERY careful with all my snakes and never take any chances with any of then, always using my hooks and clamps ext.
2.4 Normal Ball Python
1.1 Spider Ball Python
0.1 Pastel Ball Python
1.1 Apricot King Snakes
0.1 Sunglow Redtail Boa
bergsma
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Welcome to the forum & the hobby all together bergsma. Questions are good to ask, not everyone will answer with what you would like them to, but try to extract the useful info & just scrap the rest. People will always pass comments, it's their given right to express their opinion, If I think your to young for hots, then I'll say so, at the end of the day, it's your life & your choice. Copperhead or cottonmouth? for me neither! I'm one of those who think that there are just so many other incredible & much less dangerous snakes out there.

Well done on saving the puffie, recon if you really enjoy them then look at getting a captive bred pair on permit.

Lekker,
Dean.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:13 pm

Oh & one more thing, buy books, read & learn more about the reptiles indigenous to South Africa, we have the most incredible snakes in the world!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 am

bergsma, Altyd goed om aan te dui waar jy bly want dit maak raad soveel makliker.
The decision on keeping hots lies with you. Take the best out of here as DK said and you will learn a lot. I see nothing wrong with keeping a hot as long as it is done responsibily.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:47 am

Bergsma even though I sell Purple mangroves every year I would not recommend them for someone trying to gain experience. They will bite themselves if they dont find anything else to bite. Strictly a hands-off snake. Using clamps and hooks could also cause them to want to bite more than designing cages in such a way that they dont have to be handled.

I owned my first venomous snake about 2 years after my first snake. That was a night adder. Then we did not have books on keeping snakes or even computers. That knowledge was far more difficult to come by. Exotic snakes were almost unheard of.

Stick around and learn what you can. Depending on where you live try to go on various courses and then apply that knowledge for a while before you take the next step.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bergsma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks for the advice BV, I desided not to get the Mangroves, will look for a non venomous snake that's really agro and fast to begin with then when I have mastered that I'll move on the the hots, not that happy about the choice but I think its for the best
2.4 Normal Ball Python
1.1 Spider Ball Python
0.1 Pastel Ball Python
1.1 Apricot King Snakes
0.1 Sunglow Redtail Boa
bergsma
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tails'nScales » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 pm

bergsma wrote:Thanks for the advice BV, I desided not to get the Mangroves, will look for a non venomous snake that's really agro and fast to begin with then when I have mastered that I'll move on the the hots, not that happy about the choice but I think its for the best

Get yourself a pair of Anacondas, they will be more than happy to give you a run for your money..
i7 990X @ 5.0Ghz Antec Cooled | ASUS ROG R3 Formula | 12GB Dominators 6x2GB @ 1866Mhz | ASUS ROG MATRIX GTX580 SLI
Tails'nScales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:01 am

:lol:
I work with snakes for a while now and I still get tagged now and then by anacondas, a calm and docile anaconda is a sick anaconda, well it's not 100% accurate but it's close.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Active archive