For the adder breeders

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

For the adder breeders

Postby Unforgiven » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 am

I hear a few guys here are interested in breeding adders(mainly nighties and puffies), but just a question as I am curious

Does a hybrid between a puff adder and a night adder exist? Is it even possible?
Also the infamous "death adder" - has anyone ever come across one and does anyone try to breed them?
As with the puff and night adders, would it be possible to cross breed a death adder with one?

What would the results of the above turn out to be like? Im sure the guys breeding adders must have given this some thought atleast once in their programme?
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Re: For the adder breeders

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 am

1. Puff adders and night adders are different genera, the one is Causus and the other is Bitis. One lays eggs and the other gives live birth so no its not possible.
2. Death adders are bred in KZN and babies are available at the moment I believe.
3. Death adders are Elapids and part of the cobra family so cross breeding them is not possible.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 am

Does a hybrid between a puff adder and a night adder exist? Is it even possible?

A Night Adder (Causus rhombeatus) and a Puff Adder (Bitis arietans) are two different genera, thus hybrids in the wild would be VERY rare, and it has not been recorded in captivity or the wild.

Also the infamous "death adder" - has anyone ever come across one and does anyone try to breed them?

Death Adders (also not Bitis which is the typical African Adders) are bred in SA, but are quite rare.

As with the puff and night adders, would it be possible to cross breed a death adder with one?

Impossible to tell

Guys breeding Death Adders wouldn't even toy with the idea of hybridizing it with any other snakes for two reasons:

Death adders are rare and expensive, so why mess with it, and secondly and most importantly, it is VERY irresponsible to hybridize venomous snakes. If you get bitten, you will be injected with a totally unknown venom cocktail and doctors would only be able to treat you symptomatically or take a wild guess at which antivenom to use, which will probably kill you anyway.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby nvlooi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:13 am

eish... Some wierd questions;

Night adders and Puff adders are from two different genus. Even though they both are under the family viperidae.
Causus and Bitis, thus NO!

Death adders are from the Elapid family and genus Acanthophis.
Death adders, Puff adders and Night adders are all completely different thus, NO!

Family Genus Species
Puff adder Viperidae Bitis arietans
Night Adder Vipreidae Causus rhombeatus(common)
Death adder Elapidae Aconthophis antarcticus(common)

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks guys, leant something new today. I know snakes that lay eggs vs snakes that give live birth cant breed, I didnt know though that adders were all so different.

I agree that it would be irresponsible to hybridise venomous snakes for the reasons mentioned, it would just be fascinating to study the new species though(not that I would study them, I would be the guy behind the screen reading about them)

Reason I was curious about the death adder is that it made its way up on the list of "top 10 most dangerous snakes".. I must say I have a lot respect for the guys who take the hobby to the extreme by breeding reptiles like the death adder, black mamba etc, huge risks invovled..
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper Wade » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am

Hahahahaha!!
See you later alligator
In awhile crocodile
Viper Wade
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive