Bitis rubida, armata and albanica pics

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:09 pm

That makes sense now that you put it that way. It is contamination in a way. But don't you think it's not that threatening of a contamination to warrant a law. Unless it makes the gene weak of course!
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:05 pm

Now on the subject of Brown (or actually Cape) House snakes we are assuming that they are all the same.

I have it on good authority that this year a student has been approved to do DNA studies on L. capensis from the 9 biomes found in South Africa.

If this shows that Welkom has a different species or subspecies to the KZN ones then we will feel bad for contaminating that gene pool.

What does not make sense is that if you intend importing a species like xeropaga or armata or whatever, they would have to have come from South Africa. They will probably not survive escaping from Ramsgate and then hitchhiking or getting a minibus taxi back to the Cape. In their case I am sure the gene pool is pretty safe.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:17 pm

He he. They may survive if they hitchhike but a minibus taxi may be detrimental - All those feet to dodge!

And what if the snake gets lost in Welkom and mates with a house snake...oops?

Seriously I would only wanna import to get legally obtained stock to breed.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Hmm..

Postby Horned Adder » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 am

very interesting to see that even SA citizens are from time to time unsure, about their local laws. Really seems to be very stupid and ridiculous in some SA areas.

@ Bushviper

For example, would it be possible for me to buy some of your snakes, let's say the caudalis babies for example ?? Is this allowed if the animals I want to buy are REAL CB with all the legal papers ??

Sorry about the ''question-attack'', but I am wondering what's possible and legal, and what isn't.... :roll:

Cheers

Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 am

Who says my animals are legal. Maybe I have to hide them under my bed when the conservation authorities come around!

Just kidding. Yes it would be possible for me to get export permits for my animals. The amount of paperwork required is so much of a hassle that very few people are prepared to do it. Even after you have the paperwork the airlines are getting full of trouble about transporting venomous animals.

Marco it is legal to export any animal from SA if you have a permit. Getting that permit is another story. Some provinces will allow the animals only if it is going for a research project or to a zoo and other provinces dont really care. It also depends on where your supplier lives and if he gets on with the conservation authorities or not.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby rubida » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Some photos for Rob:

Bitis rubida from Swartberg population.
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks J.
Now THATS a pretty rubida. Seems very densely marked. Darker overall than others i have seen. Are they typically this colour at Swartberg?

Oooh i like!
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Berg adders (captive)

Postby rubida » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Rob, thought I will post this just for you…enjoy.

PS: Hope JKA can show you the photos of how big the basilisks are now.
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:52 pm

Wow nice pics J. Thats quite dark for atropos down there isnt it? Whats this girls history? I love the gold edging around each dark blotch.

Thanks for sharing.

JKA - A into G pls.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:50 am

Pretty sure they are from Betty's Bay area, Western Cape
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby xerophak » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:11 pm

wow, exelent nop doupte the bitis is ones of my faborites species ...
thanks for pics
xerophak
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive