Male caudalis pic

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Male caudalis pic

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Heres a pic of my male B. caudalis. I think this is the most amazing colour phase of these snakes. The pic is terrible as it was taken in bad light which doesnt do the snake justice.
When i get a gap ill try take better pics.

Colour reminds me of my favourite little adder, Bitis xeropaga.

Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:58 pm

In person this snake is so bright, the orange is almost luminous.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

@ Rob

Postby Horned Adder » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:42 pm

As I already said.....it's a stunner, a real beaty !! :cool:

Would do a trade for cornsnakes or western diamondbacks - are you interested ?!? ;-) lol

Take care Rob

Marco from Switzerland
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:49 am

Very nice Rob, very unusual colour phase. Nice 1.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Very nice, please post more pics. Does not look like a caudalis to me, what is it's locality?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby steve » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:29 pm

Isn’t that the Namib locality? IV seen pics of a similar looking Caudalis in my book on Namibian reptiles.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Trayton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Jus thats actually a terrible pic Rob, find some time soon and blow these okes away.
Trayton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rubida » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 pm

That’s a pretty looking caudalis you got their Rob. Can see why it reminds you of xeropaga
For the love of African wildlife
rubida
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Marco - I would only consider a cornsnake trade if you had some Albino Reverse Trans pecos Cornsnakes het labyrinth ;) Thanks for the message.

Steve/Froot - I was told it comes from Namibia which is expected but have had some people argue where exactly they occur this colour. I first heard Swakopmund, then i heard further north so i dunno. Will have to wait and see.
Ill try get some better pics done on a day off.
It really is different to any others Ive seen.
Surely others have some pics of similar caudalis, any pics anyone? Perhaps a female?

Anyone got pics of that caudalis at Swakopmund snake park?

Thanks J ;)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

@ Rob

Postby Horned Adder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi Rob, sorry unfortunately I do not have this kind of cornsnake in stock at the moment........just give me some time ;)

I am absolutely sure it's a Namibian caudalis, have never seen something form SA that looked this way, and I have seen many SA caudalis from different localities, in zoological institutes and private collections over the last 4-5 years or so.

Something is sure, the pattern must fit perfectly to the habitat where this color form may be found. I've seen the one in the Swakop zoo myself in 2006.........it's the most perfect speciemen I've ever see in my life - but unfortunately they won't tell me where they have catched it :lol: . The just mentioned the Sesriem area.....so I laughed out loud there, because I've got 2.1 caudalis at home from Solitaire - an they look completely different. Reddish, with some brown and orange colors....also real beauties. And they fit perfectly to this reddish orange area there.

If I had to guess I would say it's not from Swakopmund, it's from more north, but definitely from coastal region - maybe found in the Skeleton Coast area with lot's of stones, small rocks, gravel and sand......? I don't know it and can't proof it, it's just my two cents .

Unfortunately I haven't seen any caudalis there, I was searching but haven't had any success.

Cheers
Marco
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:01 am

It probably occurs way inside the diamond areas (Spergebied) where nobody goes to look in any case. Someone must have taken a chance to bring it out and now everyone is eager to find the locality and the person who caught it cannot say a word.

Not too shabby specimen but needs a mate. If you give it to me I will go look for a mate for it. Durban is the wrong locality for this animal. That makes sense to me :)
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby josh d » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Nice pics :D
josh d

just try
josh d
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 pm

MARCO - My knowledge on Namibian localities is terrible. Its like, if its not Durban or Capetown, it much be Joburg. haha
I do know its Namibian, i havent seen any SA caudalis looking anything like this snake.
I think you are due to post some bitis pics, you've been very quiet of late.

BV - This is one snake that aint going nowhere. I hope to find a mate for him very soon. Babies must be very pretty.

Again, anyone got a pic of that Swakopmund caudalis? PYTHONODIPSAS, you got one, pls post it.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

@ Rob

Postby Horned Adder » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:45 pm

Here you can find the Pics of the caudalis from the Swakop-Zoo:

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5425

Cheers
Marco

PS: maybe that with the skeleton coast is really true.... ;)
Horned Adder
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:59 pm

What a snake!

My snake above is quite similar but nowhere near as striking. In my opinion they would come from the same area. Perhaps mine being the typical form and the Swakopmund specimen being an unusually bright one.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Active archive