Are Cape cobras still commonly kept?

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Are Cape cobras still commonly kept?

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Are these snakes still abundant in the hobby. I'm wondering if they are bred allot and how many are sold compared to a few years back.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Are Cape cobras still commonly kept?

Postby nvlooi » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:57 am

I still see alot in captivity and there of plenty breeding going on, but you see to a lesser extend babies for sale.

I think it is more a "swop" snake.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:46 am

Its a shame that no one in South Africa breeds them regularly. When babies are offered, they are probably hatched from the eggs of a wild gravid female.

I know of a few Europeans (Germany, Switzerland and Netherlands) who breed consistently and regularly. Most offer offspring from high yellow adults.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Dundee@cradleoflife » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:17 am

Yes I've got 3 of them.
Dundee@cradleoflife
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:49 pm

I think your right Vlooi. Maybe creatures&critters should get them breeding.

Are most of our babies sold overseas?
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pinkscales » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:10 pm

I have three two yellows and one pitch black hoping to get a black with yellow speceles and a yellow with black speckles. I like them very unpridictable cobras dont trust them. Im trying to breed them have two of mine with a reptile park on a breeding loan.
Many of our indigenous snakes are sent off for export.
pinkscales
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Return to Active archive