Hooded Cobra information

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Hooded Cobra information

Postby Rob Crick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Can anyone help with information regarding snakes (Cobras) I find regularly on my property in the Pretoria West area (Near the Krugersdorp highway. )
They look to me like Mfezis` - Mozambique spitting Cobras - but was told they are "Hooded Cobras". I`ve not come across that name in reference to a particular South African snake before. Is there such a thing as a Hooded Cobra pertaining to a particular South African snake or is Hooded Cobra a general term for certain types of Cobras. I`ve not seen one here before under 1 meter in length and the longest was at least 1,7 meters long. They are a dirty dusty pale brownish yellowish colour if that is of any help. They definately have a hood which they display on confrontation. Do they spit and how toxic is the venom?
What type of venom do they have?
Rob Crick
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hooded Cobra information

Postby Fooble » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 pm

The Term hooded cobra is just a general term much as " barking dog" would be.
So pretty much a General term.

It's highly possible it could be a Mozambique Spitting Cobra as they do spit or spray their venom , Another cobra which spits or sprays their venom is the Rhinkals.
Both above mentioned snakes are dangerous and a bite would be serious.
The Mozambique has a mainly cytotoxic venom with some neurotoxic properties. The Rhinkals has a neuortoxic venom.
You will also get Snouted Cobra's in the area so i wouldn't rule those out how ever these do not spit or spray their venom.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Rob Crick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks for your help Fooble, I`m of the opinion that my first guess was correct in that they are probably Mozambique spitting Cobras and I am amazed at the number in our area.
Rob Crick
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 am

Spitting cobras are not dirty yellow but are usually dark gray above with salmon pink (or in your area even dark gray) bellies. The cobras that have yellowish bellies and even yellowish above are the Snouted cobras which also occur in your area.

There are many people who remove problem snakes in your area so if you need them taken away just phone the Krugersdorp fire department. They will have someone in your area who can help.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rob Crick » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Bushviper, Thank you for your information. From your description we now agree they are probably snouted Cobras. They are realy many here.
Rob Crick
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive