Mouthful from a Mfezi

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Mouthful from a Mfezi

Postby marc bt » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:35 pm

BV, would you then inject it straight into the muscle that surrounds the bite?
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:48 pm

And just in case you take in too much through the eye :-P .....But I doubt that 1/1000 with have a huge effect.
Some less serious side effects: fast, or uneven heart beats, sweating, nausea and vomiting/dizziness, headache or feeling nervous or anxious.

Epinephrine auto-injectors (Epi-pen) can be prescribed by your Dr. as in the case with me because of my allergy to bee stings but it may be used for self-injection by a person with a history of an severe allergic reaction as well like allergies to seafood, pollen etc.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 pm

marc the adrenaline should be injected into a large muscle mass like a thigh. It works instantaneously so the site of the bite is not relevant. It can cause problems especially for people with weak arteries around the heart etc so make sure you know why you are using it and clear this with your doctor before you buy the adrenaline.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby marc bt » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:49 pm

I think i would rather just not get bitten therefore avoiding everything above :D But yes i will, just to be on the safe side.
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:17 am

Hi there
Great pics & post - thank you
Just to comment on what Mr G said about adrenalin in the eye: Absorption from the eye can be quite significant. So, you may get quite significant systemic effects from undiluted adrenalin in the eyes. The information I have read suggests 0.5% adrenalin, which is much more concentrated that the adrenalin that we give intravenously in the case of a cardiac arrest!

This is what I know about Venom Ophthalmia:
The main pathology is from massive vasodilation (increased blood flow to the eye) with associated bleeding into the eye. These effects are due to local inflammation from the venom itself, as well as hypersensitivity (allergy) in some individuals
Symptoms depend on the volume of venom as well as the time delay between exposure and the removal of venom from the eyes
Management consists of:
1) Cleaning the eyes with water or saline
2) Analgesia with adrenalin (this constricts the blood vessels of the eye & dilates the pupil which assists with pain)
3) Short term use of topical local anaesthetics – not only does this help with the pain, but also treats the blepharospasm (involuntary twitching & closing of the eyelids) which can seriously hamper irrigation
4) An Ophthalmologist must be consulted. They will examine the eyes in order to:
a) Exclude corneal abrasion – antibiotics will be prescribed if this is present
b) Prevent further complications with drugs that temporarily “paralyse” the eye (cycloplegics)
c) Prescribe anti-histamines if there is significant inflammation
5) Topical or systemic antivenom are contraindicated!
6) There is no role for corticosteroids
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:46 am

Sorry - I meant to quote my source of information:
Chu ER, Weinstein SA, White J, Warrell DA. Venom ophthalmia caused by venoms of spitting elapid and other snakes: Report of ten cases with review of epidemiology, clinical features, pathophysiology and management. Toxicon 56 (2010) 259-272.
I have access to this article via my University. Unfortunately I cannot share it with all of you due to copyright laws.
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive