Cobra found in Ottery on Monday

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Cobra found in Ottery on Monday

Postby Darling » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Everyone,

A neighbour of mine posted on FB that she required assistance with a slithery visitor who ended up in her backyard. She asked for somone to sent out to come and collect the snake. The only description she gave was that it was about 1.5m. grey in colour with a big head. It too the handler two hours to come out to remove the snake and to identify it. To everyone's horror it was a cobra!

This is starting to freak me out because this is once again in my neighbourhood of Ottery in the Southern Suburbs. Any idea as to why we are getting more slithery visitors cropping up in this residential area?

The snake was safely removed and relocated to a suitable area.
Darling
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cobra found in Ottery on Monday

Postby Fooble » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 am

What snake was it no photo's?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am

Hi Darling. It was probably moving because it had been disturbed. Snakes usually do not move around in such cold weather. Dont worry about it too much. They have lived in the area for centuries.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Darling » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 am

There were no pics available. THe snake catcher goes by the name of Shaun. He apparently did the rescue and was going to release it in a suitable place. The lady who posted it (Annalicia) said she got such a fright when it hooded and came up that she fell into the pool wiht camear and all. Another person that was mentioned aiding with the rescue was Alan. Not sure if any of these guys are known to any of you.
Darling
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glasbyb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 am

I responded to a snake call out in that area on Monday night but could not locate the snake. The domestic worker had fallen in the pool earlier. I only left the property at about 9pm. What time did Shaun find the snake? Which Shaun was it? The property I was on was in the New Ottery area near the fire department.
"A field without a snake is like a kiss without a squeeze"
glasbyb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Darling » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Annalicia who posted it on fb under (traffic fines, cameras and updates) was the person who came home and saw it through her kombuis window. She kept her eye on it till someone arrived. According to her last posts the snake was safely caught and unharmed. THe time of that post was just after 9pm. A man by the name of Alan ricnicki and another named Shaun helped her. Once the snake was caught, they checked the rest of the backyard for any more, but didn't find any other snakes. She said she was located off Old Strandfontein road close to the traffic department. This is pretty much exactly where i live. THis is freaking me out!
Darling
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:06 pm

No need to freak out. Contrary to popular belief, snakes are not out to get you and will not attack unless cornered. If left alone they will always just slither away peacefully. What your friend did was the right thing to do, keep an eye on it from a safe distance until someone comes to remove it. Thank her for not trying to kill it.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Brett, remember the other night I called you? it was the same lady in Ottery. I went throught there at 9 the night cos she was freaking out..Im in Kuilsriver, and unfortunately couldnt get somebody else there. I went there on condition that they watch it, when I got there, they were all sitting indoors, watching tv..needless to say, snake wasnt where they said it was, I checked but couldnt get anything. I think the snake was caught 2 weeks afterwards...

Darling what I find strange is she had my details, but apparently she battled to find someone... With the amount of mole activity in that area, as well as it being only a stones throw from Phillipi, it doesnt surprise me..
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive