Interesting Naja nivea...

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Interesting Naja nivea...

Postby bigred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:10 pm

An interesting juvie nivea rescued near Table Mountain.
It looks exactly like the "annulifera" on page 103 of Marais' A Complete Guide to..
After a bit of investigation, it appears one or two similarly patterned niveas have been encountered in the Karoo, but never in the surrounds of Cape Town.
Mr. Marais put the pic on the wrong page ??? .........

"If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos."
bigred
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:50 pm

Unusual colour markings for a Cape Cobra but I think that the animal still has its Juvenal markings that will fade in time.
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby bigred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:19 pm

The bands in the front of the hood are typical "Juvenal" markings that fade as the nivea gets into its second year.
But the chevron stripes are highly unusual, especially with Western cape niveas.

"If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos."
bigred

Postby bigred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:45 pm

He was a feisty little guy, although I've yet to meet a little nivea who wasn't.
He was released as soon as we established what he was; initially thought it could have been an annulifera (thanks to Mr. Marais' pic!), but did a scale count.
bigred

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:07 pm

I have far less experience with N. nivea than you guys but I have some concerns.

What scale counts are you refering to? The third and fourth labials entering the eye?

I have never seen any Capies with a double band under the throat.

He is very shiny though which is not that common for N. annulifera.

I understand your dillema. Post the pic on the Sarca website and see what they say.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bigred » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:18 pm

BV, yip, the upper labials entering the eye. He had three; also typical glossiness of juvie nivea.
But forget the strange chevron-type markings, my issue was the double band under the chin.
I cannot recall ever seeing a juvie capie with more than one band.
Thanks BV, I will post on SARCA.
Got a few more pics - you guys want to see them?
bigred

Postby Bushviper » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:29 am

Yip lets see more pics. The double band is what bothered me too.

Try posting the picture on Sarca without giving a locality at first and see what they say. I know it is cruel but Mr Marais is on the panel of experts.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Active archive