Mamba on Gumtree

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Mamba on Gumtree

Postby Smeegle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:20 am

Found this on Gumtree this morning in the pet section:

http://durban.gumtree.co.za/c-Pets-other-pets-black-mamba-snake-W0QQAdIdZ243717164

:smt017
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Mamba on Gumtree

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 am

Wonderful pet. Loves being noosed. Can talk bargain price too.

This is why I am glad we have a permit system to protect indigenous reptiles in all the other provinces however it is not administered the way it should be.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Smeegle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:03 am

I totally agree. It is just not right that some guy nooses a wild animal and then tries to make a quick buck by selling it. I suppose if he didn't think he could sell it, he would have killed it...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:33 am

These very same idiots called me on Saturday asking me if I wanted to buy this snake. I told them that I do not buy wild snakes and that they should just let it go. Obviously they still have this poor animal.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:42 pm

This so sad- so many people flying under the radar to make a quick buck.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby MISA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:04 pm

:shock: from the pages of gumtree to the front page of The Mercury...
Its just a matter of time before these two meet unexpectedly...my money is on the black beauty making the dude famous!

Can see the headlines: Man attacked by "pet mamba" now leading nominations for SA's own Darwin Awards :smt011
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Do yourself and others a favour when you see dodgey ad's like that use the button on the far right and REPORT THIS AD, or makr it as scam or fraud then the ads get taken down.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby bradmiller » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Agreed to all the above... Love the look on the guys face though...
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Good news guys!

A member of the community gave me this guys details and I have arranged for the snake to be collected on my return to Durban tomorrow (Wed 24th) to be released in a safe place. The guy meant no malice and was more than willing for me to do the right thing.

I will chat to him about less aggressive capture methods, but I suspect old dogs will take longer to learn new tricks :D

All is well that ends well I suppose.

JP
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:48 am

That's great news JP.

I also spoke to him on Monday again but I still believe he was trying to make a quick buck as he was even negotiating price with me. His daughter was also adamant about releasing the snake when I suggested it. However he did mention that it is a beautiful snake and he doesn't want to sell it to a sangoma who will kill it for muti.

Maybe he got a bit spooked when you called him JP. Did you use some police tactics on him boet? LOL

I guess the old mentality is that just about any snake can be sold as if I am not mistaken, many snake parks used to buy snakes in the past for their display's and people were paid by the meter.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:15 am

At the end of the day the guy is doing the right thing because members of the herp community in Durban put pressure on him. That should be acknowledged and applauded.

For a province that has no formal herp association you guys are doing very well. Now if only you could get over the petty stuff and formalise this then possibly government would also have to take you seriously as an organisation instead of a loose group of concerned citizens. It need not be rigid in its structure but the socials and other events could be passed off as meetings and at least someone can claim to represent the herping community when new laws get discussed.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bradmiller » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:37 am

:smt023
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:42 am

I agree with you wholeheartedly BV, and I vote JP for president.

I am liaising with someone at KZN wildlife at the moment in regards to a permit I require and I was told that they need more snake guys on board to assist with various tasks. I think that getting more involved with the relevant authorities can only be beneficial in the future. I recently found out that my uncle and the Executive director of KZN Wildlife are well acquainted as they have worked on a few projects together. Hopefully this could be beneficial as well.

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:07 am

Rishaad, in life it is not what you know but who you know. I hope this bodes well for future policy and enforcement. At the moment it is run by a bunny hugger woman who is anti-animal keeping in contradiction to laws established.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:23 pm

BV - I agree wholeheartedly with you. We need to get a formal organisation up and running here in KZN.
We have the people with the expertise, JP, Byron, Devon, John, Paul but to name a few.
We also have many able and willing participants.

Rishaad - You are on the correct path with some of us getting involved at KZN Wildlife on the reptile side of things.

I hope that someone takes BV's suggestion to heart here.
I for one am keen to support any initiative the KZN Reptile Enthusiasts may want to start up.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Active archive