Snakehunting

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: Snakehunting

Postby Dispholidus » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:17 am

To produce antivenom
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:36 am

To produce anti venom and medical studies and other scientic studies done on the how venom differ between localities etc!
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:41 am

That’s what I thought, surly the people that studies and makes anti venom, would care more for the animal than to deal with the B@stards that doesn’t care and will sell anything, cause my thinking is bay a good snake and you can milk him for years appose to having to replace after ever 3 milking? Or am I being naïve?
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:07 am

jka wrote:Habitat conservation is the way forward. What does it help if the specie is only seen in captivity he is ecologically dead.

I agree. There is some place for captive breeding in a conservation sense, but it must be as part of a re-introduction program and very strict guidelines are in place for those kind of programs. I would suspect that any animal which cannot be traced back to its wild origin accurately would not be eligible for release, especially in a industry/community where there is a lot of breeding between animals from different areas or even close relatives to breed out recessive traits. I am not saying there is not a place for this kind of breeding, just that it has no value in a conservation-orientated breeding program, aimed at re-introduction.
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 am

boing wrote:
jka wrote:Habitat conservation is the way forward. What does it help if the specie is only seen in captivity he is ecologically dead.

I agree. There is some place for captive breeding in a conservation sense, but it must be as part of a re-introduction program and very strict guidelines are in place for those kind of programs. I would suspect that any animal which cannot be traced back to its wild origin accurately would not be eligible for release, especially in a industry/community where there is a lot of breeding between animals from different areas or even close relatives to breed out recessive traits. I am not saying there is not a place for this kind of breeding, just that it has no value in a conservation-orientated breeding program, aimed at re-introduction.

I fully agree with boing.

What good is it if you have a few specimens but the habitat is destroyed. I don't want to "see" the animals behind glass or in tubs I want to see them in the wild as it should be.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive