Rinkhals Dropoff

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Rinkhals Dropoff

Postby boing » Sat May 31, 2008 11:47 am

We are not allowed to respond to call outs during office hours as it takes us away from our work and costs Bayworld money, but people often drop reptiles off here, and we have a contract with a local guy, Mark Marshall, to collect these, treat any that are injured and release them.

Today I get a call that someone is here with a Cobra so I head off downstairs, and see four guys sitting there. At first I cant see any box or bucket or anything, so wonder where the snake is - then I see it: In his HAND!!! He apparentely walked all the way from where he caught the snake (other side of PE) necking it the whole time! There were two of them in the veld where they went to get the herbs they use for medicine (!!) and the snakes were going to bite them so they picked this one up to prevent it biting them... The other cobra (they kept insisting it must be the male) was bigger with yellow, brown, black on it with red and green patterns (WHAT?) I insisted they leave the snake here, but told them I couldn't pay them for it. They felt that if I wont give them any money, they should get the snake back cos they know someone who will buy it, or else they can take it back to the place they caught it so it can be reunited with the male...

Mark is coming through this afternoon to collect the snake as we are not sure if it is injured or not from being held for so long. I cant do it myself as there is no backup and our policies require at least two people. The glimpse I got of the animal before it moved into the hide in the enclosure I put it in, didn't show any major problems, but I can't be too sure.

People like this drive me INSANE!!
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:27 pm

How come people are bright enough to still remember from 50 years ago that snake parks used to pay for snakes? They are just as stupid to not know that catching any wildlife and selling it is illegal.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:03 am

Bushviper wrote:How come people are bright enough to still remember from 50 years ago that snake parks used to pay for snakes? They are just as stupid to not know that catching any wildlife and selling it is illegal.

And I just enjoy telling them that too! Maybe it's because I used to work at Nature Conservation ... it's a natural behaviour coming forward when I come across such stupidity!
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive