Rinkhals Update

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Rinkhals Update

Postby Mehelya » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 pm

I don't know if many, or any, of you remember this little chap? Also thought I'd post something from the indiginous side of my collection. Sly, this one's for you! ;)

Well, I just thought I'd give an update on him/her. Eating like a waste basket ( but I do not over-feed), and roughly half a meter now . I am amazed at how the coloration has come out. The banding is more defined, the Mfezi-ish head coloration hasn't been lost, and there is a definite tinge of grey/blue to him/her, that can be clearly seen in the lower left hand side of the photos below. I can not wait to find it a mate for breeding a few years down the line. First I'll have to sex it though, and I'm not looking forward to that. Bushviper, I think I must come up and do a husbandry course with you, before I attempt to get my fingers in the way! Excuse the tape holding the heating cable, I ran out of staples, and will replace it in the morning.

Well, I hope you enjoy the photos, this little one gives me endless pleasure, especially when cleaning the enclosure.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rinkhals Update

Postby Sfourie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi Mehelya,

Beautiful snake. I am still new to the forum could you tell a little more about this snake. You say Mfezi'ish head; Is it a hybrid? Coloration seems a little unusual for Rinkhals (Excuse my ignorance if this is usual coloration, like I said still a greenhorn). The banded forms I am used to usually have more plain beige bands.

Regards

Stefan

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Thanks Stefan. This is a pure-blooded Rinkhals, I can promise you that. In saying "Mfezi-ish head", I was merely referring to the coloration of the head. Rinkhals, not being true cobras, have keeled dorsal scales, whereas true cobras have smooth dorsal scales. Rinkhals also give birth to live young, where all true cobras lay eggs. The coloration is also not normal for my area, although we do get banded phase here often, this one just stood out as being unusually different from the norm. Hope that answered your Qs?
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev3 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Stunning!
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata
1.1.0 Python regius
0.0.1 Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix
0.1.0 Crotalus atrox
1.1.0 Naja Kaouthia
0.1.0 Iguana iguana
Kev3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks Mehelya that answered all my questions. Glad to hear is full blooded Rinkhals (I am not really a fan of hybrids). You can be proud of such a unique and beautiful snake.

Regards

Stefan
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 am

Mehelya: Long time old friend....Very nice Rinkhals, i have seen a pair very similar to this one by a friend in PTA, his are yearylings maybe you guys can hook up on this project, pm if you wanting his details congrats and all the best with this project can you take a photo of this snake in a clear tubb from the bottom, want to just see it's belly and tail section. Thanking you in advance.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am

If it will alow me to do so, I will try and get photos for you this afternoon. I have to clean the cage anyway. The only problem is that our rinkhals in the area don't know how to play dead! There seems to be an aggressiveness in them that is insane! They will stand and defend, rather than play dead, no matter what! This chap is also about a year old now. I'm sure we can look into it at a later date!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Sly, as promised! Here are two shots of the underside... Sorry about the thumb/hand... :oops: I try to minimize contact, and handling of my venomous, even in the tubs, and didn't want to stress it more than it was. Hope this helps with what you're looking for?

Unedited, with glare

Edited, to remove glare
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Just caught a monster of a Rinkhals at work about 10 minutes ago.
It is completely black all over except for one thin white line on it's throat.
Totally different to these photos, and about 1 metre in length.
Unfortunately no photos, as I work in a high security area where no cameras are allowed.
Released it again about 800 metres away from the buildings in a thick clump of bushes.
I know it will just come back again tonight, but at least it made the other people feel safer after it was removed.
3rd one in a week, the others were quite small, maybe about 20 to 25cm.
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Bud that's a female, very nice
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:39 pm

How sure are you?! I remember in another post, Bushviper showed that tail length/girth etc. wasn't a sure-fire way of sexing, and probing was also sometimes variable. Would be great if it is a female!

Normally I only get males... Are you basing your sexing on the thickness of the tail, from the cloaca to the tail tip being so thin? I would guess that means there is little place for the hemipenes, and hence the female sexing? Was under the impression that probing or popping was the best way to sex hemachs.

Thanks Sly, if you're 100% certain, and right, you've just made my day! ;) Shot B! :D
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Yes Mehelya, i'm sure it's a girl a 100% sure
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks Sly! Females, from my experience, are normally harder to come by! You have just made my week! Shot B!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:00 am

Well, seeing as I'm back online, I thought I would update all my old posts, and not just the Carpet ones...

Sly, this one's for you! :cool:

She's changed color somewhat, but is still looking good!
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Groenslang » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 am

Stunning
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Active archive