Rinkhals spitting

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Rinkhals spitting

Postby Deon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:34 pm

This evening I tubed one of my banded Rinkhals, needed to check a mark on the head as it seems there had been some "issues" between him and her in the same cage. Anyway, while in the tube I checked the tail section etc. and then quickly moved toward the head, at this stage the snake got a fright and jerked it's head and spat, not very far, about 20 cm, but clearly not from a hooded position. Anyone experienced this kind of behaviour before?
Keep your friends close to you and your enemies closer.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:47 pm

I would say that it did hood, as in all the muscles to make the hood and perform the natural pose before spitting were pulling but it was restricted in the tube.
Did it exhale hard as it spat?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby MrG » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:59 pm

I have experienced the same a while ago. Also saw them spitting whiles pinning them and having them in my hand. I think they can from a semi hooded position also contract the venom glands.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Deon » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:23 am

No real "blowing" that I can recall.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:34 am

Interesting. I have only ever known rinkhals to 'throw' their venom.

Incidentally and a little off topic....As you may know, my female rinkhals dropped a whole bunch of babies. Since I've had them they have never 'spat'. I have tried to induce it and they rear and strike but nothing comes out. I still have baby rinkhals which are probably around 6 months old and they still dont spit. A friend of mine has experienced this as well. Anybody here know about this?
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Deon » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 am

Pythonodipsas, I still have 2 youngsters, one 6 month old banded and one 6 month old normal (approx) the banded is almost twice the bulk of the normal and was definately captive bred. The normal I doubt was captive bred, although it was sold as such. All my adult banded spit, some more than others, BUT the 6 month old does not, strikes and goes through all the motions but nothing. The normal one does spit, be it very seldom.
Deon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:53 am

i have also seen a rinkhals spit from a pinned postition!!
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dendroaspis » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:58 am

Interestingly, so have I. Its not far, and almost looks like an injection emptying out.
Even though the muscles are contracted, it makes no difference. It needs that slinging action
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Active archive