Venemous Snakes

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Venemous Snakes

Postby Boskobra » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:23 pm

i am new to the venemous snakes but would really like to start with them, if you can say the passion just caaled me back...
the question i want to ask is what is the most convenient (if i can put it that way) venemous snake to start of with going into these amasing animals..... i just want to start of with something nice and easy to hanlde and learn from there and take my knowledge futhre into the other ones..... i stay just outside PTA and the farmers kills alot of snake for the plain reason they are ugly and they have teeth shoot they head of, i want to be called out capture and rehabilitate them.
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Venemous Snakes

Postby Jamster » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Get yourself an adult molesnake, that'll get you used to the idea of not wanting to get bitten. :D But if you really want to hit the venemous, do a handleing course first!
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Microlepidotus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Welcome, but first punctuation would be a good start ;).
Starting with venomous snakes is not a good idea, rather start with common, non-venomous snakes
If you insist on working with venomous snakes I suggest you do nothing on your own but rather go to a snake handling and identification course.
If you pass, it will be a good sighn of your knowledge growing.
There is no convenient venomous snake to start off with, mildly venomous snakes is a better pick , so something like C. hatomboeia, T. beetzi or even an aggresive P. cana .
Then you can take it further with Causus rhombeatus and Aspidelaps lubricus, but these can do some serious damage especially A. lubricus. Dont want to take risks here........

This forum will also be a great help for expanding your knowledge.

For removing snakes, you would need a drivers licence and apply for a catch and release permit.

If you are planning on keeping and breeding indigenous snakes you would also need permits, although rules and regulations may vary from place to place.

Mike Perry can supply you with a I.D. course and handling course.

Further...
Good luck.
People who dont stand up for anything, falls for everything.
Microlepidotus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MISA » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Boskobra wrote:i am new to the venemous snakes but would really like to start with them, if you can say the passion just caaled me back...
the question i want to ask is what is the most convenient (if i can put it that way) venemous snake to start of with going into these amasing animals..... i just want to start of with something nice and easy to hanlde and learn from there and take my knowledge futhre into the other ones..... i stay just outside PTA and the farmers kills alot of snake for the plain reason they are ugly and they have teeth shoot they head of, i want to be called out capture and rehabilitate them.

Boskobra, my dear friend,
I hear you and because you like a brother to me this is the best info I can give you,
STAY AWAY from venonous snakes!
Or attend a recognised handling course run by a reputable organisation BEFORE you start with any venomous snakes.

If you want to go the short cut route avoiding courses/experience/ knowledge and keeping of some more aggressive user friendly non venomous snakes to gain experience then I suggest you learn these numbers off by heart...

Western Cape Tygerberg Poison Centre 021-931629
Red Cross Poison Centre 021-6585428
Eastern Cape Frere Hospital 0431-491077 (o/h)
Livingstone Hospital 041-4052455
Free State Free State Poison Centre 051-4013170
Kwazulu/Natal St Augustine's Poison Centre 031-2685559 or 0800-333444
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

hahahhaha.... the idea of getting bitten doesn't scare me at all!
i grew up with snakes and loved them since i was small..... i had a pair copperhead vipers as it goes for venemous snakes, but i have handled a few venemous snakes but not that extreme like mamba and cobra so forth..... what i want to do is getting to know the lifestyle and characteristics of the specified venemous snake and grow from there.... like maybe a puffy or rinkhals..?
at this moment i do have Red tail Boa and Yellow anaconda but it is as is said i won't be learning anything on venemous snakes if i can't handle one every day is that not the only way i am going to learn.
maybe i should ad this so that MISA don't have sleepnes nights, i did register for a sanke handling and the whole "katutie" with Mike, this thing that i am planning is not happening over night i took it on a year period then i want to be in the field.
thanks for all the help so far. :-P
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MISA » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Boskobra wrote:hahahhaha.. the idea of getting bitten doesn't scare me at all!

:shock: :shock: Now I am definately not going to sleep tonight Boskobra..

As they say in the classics "Its not if, its a case of when..."

Trust me my friend you DO NOT want to get tagged by anything venomous, besides the cost factor there is the pain and suffering and or possible death problem included in the deal.

There is no short cut for experience and knowledge..

Best of luck.
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Microlepidotus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Boskobra wrote:hahahhaha.... the idea of getting bitten doesn't scare me at all!
i grew up with snakes and loved them since i was small..... i had a pair copperhead vipers as it goes for venemous snakes, but i have handled a few venemous snakes but not that extreme like mamba and cobra so forth..... what i want to do is getting to know the lifestyle and characteristics of the specified venemous snake and grow from there.... like maybe a puffy or rinkhals..?
at this moment i do have Red tail Boa and Yellow anaconda but it is as is said i won't be learning anything on venemous snakes if i can't handle one every day is that not the only way i am going to learn.
maybe i should ad this so that MISA don't have sleepnes nights, i did register for a sanke handling and the whole "katutie" with Mike, this thing that i am planning is not happening over night i took it on a year period then i want to be in the field.
thanks for all the help so far. :-P

So losing your life or being disabled doesnt scare you ?
Learning about venomous snakes is NOT handeling them everyday, and ontop of it, not being able to do it correctly ?
Learning about venomous snakes is observing them in the wild, taking samples of blood, DNA so forthand testing and observing these in laboratorys and you can learn by keeping them captive but as I said you need to know how and need to know your consequinces, and before one even dream of doing this you need to gain something very special called KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE.
If you want to get any indigenous snakes, as I said, you will need a permit and recieving one. Getting a puffy or rinkhalse is seriously no joke. These serpents can change your life for ever and even kill you....

Please be carefull with venomous snakes, and in my oppinion you need to learn much more about venomous snakes.
People who dont stand up for anything, falls for everything.
Microlepidotus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Aaah. Time for the quarterly 'starter venommous' regurge session. No thanks. Search using 'starter' and you'll see what I mean.

Microlepidotus you made your point in your first post, your second is annoying.

Locked.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Active archive