Scientific Name Updates

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: Scientific Name Updates

Postby Dispholidus » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:16 am

All very confusing. Hope CapeNature is up to speed with the name changes - Imagine applying for a permit to keep Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake) and CapeNature comes an finds a Lamprophis inornatus (Olive house snake). :smt017 :smt021 :D
Snakes caring for me:

0.1 Boaedon capensis (Brown house snake)
1.0 Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake)
1.0 Pseudaspis cana (Mole snake)
1.1 Dispholidus typus (Boomslang)
0.1 Naja annulifera (Snouted cobra)
Dispholidus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:03 am

Dispholidus wrote:All very confusing. Hope CapeNature is up to speed with the name changes - Imagine applying for a permit to keep Lycodonomorphus inornatus (Olive ground snake) and CapeNature comes an finds a Lamprophis inornatus (Olive house snake). :smt017 :smt021 :D

Get hold of a copy of the paper where the name was changed and keep it with your permits etc. That way, if they do come for a spot check and did not know about the change you can show them that it is the same species.
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 am

Haven't had an update in a while.

Johan Marias has shared this list of the current scientific and common names of reptiles of southern Africa.

It has all the most recent name changes of the File Snakes, House Snakes, Girdled Lizards, Pachydactylus etc.

Check it out!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/124624895/Reptiles-of-Southern-Africa-Species-List-Feb-2013
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Agama atra and Agama knobeli

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Can anyone shed some light on the reason the subspecies was split up?

I will appreciate any sources, anecdotes or references etc.

I am finding the list provided by Johan Marais, 2013, to be a good source of information in terms of names, but in order to deepen my understanding I want know the details.

Thanks.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm

You know, I am often against some of the subspecies being elevated to new species, but I am all for new genera being created for unique snakes.

I understand that most of the changes are warranted due to mitochondrial DNA results. A few (like Pachydactylus mariquensis complex) were split due to scalation, but I think DNA is the dominant source.

My main issue with this is where do you draw the line? I am sure if one compares Berg Adders from Mpumalanga to Berg Adders from the Western Cape, there is a difference in DNA due to the time the populations have been isolated, but surely we can't go that far?

I hope WW, armata or one of the other academics can pop in and give a better answer.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks Westly.

I think that there is a long way to go before the understanding of reptiles settles down.

I look forward to seeing what the academics say about the matter.

In the meantime I will try and find some resources to get a deeper understanding.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:52 pm

I am still really struggling with the scientific name updates, especially the merging of the subspecies.

I have three questions:

Is there any other source I can look at besides Johan Marais' 2013 list?

How reliable is the Sarca Virtual Museum for information of subspecies, or has this contributed to further revisions?

When it comes to universal agreements on Southern African species, where can I get the the correct information?

Any help will be appreciated.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to News and Announcements