Mamba Telemetry in Swaziland

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: Mamba Telemetry in Swaziland

Postby BOOGY » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks Swazi, thats very interesting.Please do keep us posted!
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby phish » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:47 pm

spotted the preview for this on PBS ... hopefully it makes its way to our screens soon:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... tion/5260/
I spent most of my money on fishing, booze, and women. The rest I just wasted.
---------------------------------------------
http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com/
phish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:09 am

I'm out of control! I'm out of control! ......that little bit had everyone laughing and teasing me for months -
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:42 pm

I thought you were saying "get it under control" anyway!

I wanted to ask you who built the tracking devices implanted in the Mambas and how big were they? I ask because years ago Graham also implanted two tracking devices in Black mambas which were going to be tracked in the Hoedspruit area but the ones we used at the time were previously used for his python tracking program and their size was more suited to the body of a python rather than a slender agile Black Mamba. The implants did not heal very well in the snake and as a result were later removed from the two mambas in the project. I would think that the devices Graham implanted this time for your tracking project were much smaller and better suited for Mambas. Please advise?
Regards
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:59 pm

If I can establish that my Cape cobras at deHoopp can stand capture and recapture without deserting the refuge then I am tempted to go for radio telemetery - if I can get the funding.
However, will try with one male first and see if he 'behaves'. I will catch him up and keep him for a week, app time it would take to implant and recovery period. But like I say, if I can get the funding.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:43 pm

When I was in Hoedspruit I started a small personal project with mambas from the area which included about 10 specimens of which two were resident on the park grounds and the others were problem snake call outs in the neighborhood. I used to mark them by making two V scale clippings into one of the ventral scales at a particular number ventral up from the cloaca in order to identify them if recaptured in the same year (eg. X 2 V scale clippings on 4th ventral up from the cloaca). Out of the 10 mambas in my little personal project I only recaptured one of the residents again in the same area and never came across any of the others again. Not that scientific I know, but I was still excited to at least recapture one of the residents again. It may also have something to do with how secure a refuge they had in the first place?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

We used two types of telemetry units. The lot made here in RSA failed after 3 days and were much bigger but than the units below which were tiny and worked very, very well. The cost was +- R1000.00 each if I remember correctly. We operated on 12 snakes - 6 Canadian and 6 local.

Here’s the spec of the implants from Holohil Systems in Canada:
Model Weight Nominal Life Lifespan range Dimensions: L x Diameter (mm)
SI-2 9g 12 months 6-18 months 33 x 11

Frequency Range: 138 to 235 MHz.
Transmitter: SI-2: Crystal controlled two-stage design, pulsed by a CMOS multivibrator.
Pulse Width & Rate: SI-2: Pulse width 22-24 ms, pulse rate nominal 0.7 p/s (42 p/m).
Temperature (suffix "T"): An increase or decrease in temperature results in a corresponding increase or decrease in pulse rate. At the standard settings, the pulse rate changes from ~15 p/m at 0°C to ~50 p/m at 40°C (SB-2 ~30 p/m at 0°C to ~50 p/m at 40°C). Each transmitter is supplied with a plotted calibration curve. This option adds ~0.05g to the finished weight of each transmitter.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks for the info Swazi, the model you are using sounds a lot smaller than what we used previously and better suited for the body of a mamba. I'm surprised that the price per units is quite a bit less that what I expected. You don't want to know how much my Sirtrack turtle PTT's cost! Anyway, all the best with your work and can't wait to see the Mamba Documentary!
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Great Stuff Swazi, I cant wait to see it!
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby phish » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:51 am

I watched the "Black Mamba White Witch" documentary on BBC last night, was very well done compared to the usual sensationalist stuff BBC can come up with. Looks like you guys have fun!

Congrats Thea & Clifton!
phish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:58 am

Saw it as well on the Beeb last night - brilliant stuff and some great footage, brought back some very fond memories!

phish wrote:I watched the "Black Mamba White Witch" documentary on BBC last night, was very well done compared to the usual sensationalist stuff BBC can come up with.

Sorry, but to my mind that's a bit unfair on the BBC - OK, they do produce a lot of cr@p, but they also produce the various Attenborough series, which must surely stand as unrivalled masterpieces of Natural History documentary-making. That alone puts the BBC miles ahead of any other Natural History doco makers, especially of the presenter-centered "cheap TV" variety as routinely churned out by Discovery, Animal Planet, Nat Geo etc.

Cheers,

WW
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby phish » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:24 pm

WW wrote:Sorry, but to my mind that's a bit unfair on the BBC - OK, they do produce a lot of cr@p, but they also produce the various Attenborough series, which must surely stand as unrivalled masterpieces of Natural History documentary-making. T

WW

Yes, you are right. I typed too fast. What i meant to say was "compared to the stuff on some other channels" ... :oops:
phish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks WW & phish,

Clifton and I are enjoying the wonderful hospitality and weather (Bristol anyway) here in the UK. We cancelled our trip to Bath as we are trying to recover from the launch party last night which was held in this wonderful little wine bar. I feel like death warmed up and Clifton has finished our entire supply of headache tablets.

The response to the documentary has been really great. I received an email from Prof Warrell who said that it is the best Natural History documentary he has ever seen....a truly great compliment. WW try and watch the next time it's aired (think its tomorrow), they had to cut a lot of great footage (of the snakes and cane workers) out for last nights slot.

I was very surprised to hear that the American version is also different...they found the scene with the dying dogs too disturbing and wanted it removed??? LMOL
Swazi
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to News and Announcements