Death of the hobby part 2

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: Death of the hobby part 2

Postby JaneDoe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Bushviper, you have made my day! MWAH

I think I fell in love with them the first picture I saw and have been reading every tiny bit of information I can get about them.

I find myself wanting to be perfectly nosy and say who ever has them please can you get in contact, I'd love nothing more than to be able to get some pictures and when the time comes a baby.
JaneDoe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kingspider » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:05 pm

and the final list?where can i obtain this?
kingspider strikes again
kingspider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:17 am

USARK Victorious in Close of 111th Congress

The 111th Congress has come to and end! And with it three federal bills have fallen to the titanic efforts of USARK and the Reptile Nation.As you know USARK engineered an 11th hour campaign to keep those who would destroy our young industry from adding S373, aka ‘The Python Ban’, to a large Natural Resources omnibus put together by Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and Senator Harry Reid (D-NV). Although much pressure was applied by the Defenders of Wildlife, The Nature Conservancy and the Humane Society of the United States, USARK was able to block the addition of S373 to this massive bill.

As originally written S373 and its US House companion bill HR2811, collectively known as ‘The Python Ban’, would have added all 47 species of Python to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. USARK successfully engaged both bills at the staff and member levels. Both bills were subsequently amended and no longer identical making them more difficult to reconcile. Even though both bills passed out of their respective committees USARK was able to block several attempts at a vote to pass them.

Also, HR669 the ‘‘Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act’’ if passed would have banned most non-native animals in the USA. The bill was written largely to reflect the view of the Defenders of Wildlife and would have set up a “white list”, guilty until proven innocent approach to screening non-native animals. If the bill had passed it would have devastated Herpetoculture, Aquaculture, pets and exotic animals. USARK spearheaded the largest grassroots effort in more than 30 years generating almost 50,000 written letters opposing HR669. The pet industry and exotic animal interests contributed to the monumental grass roots effort. USARK led the charge that stopped HR669 in committee.

Now with the close of the 111th Congress all three threats to the Reptile Nation have been defeated. S373, HR2811 and HR669 are all dead!Andrew Wyatt, President of USARK, said,“I can’t think of a better present to give the Reptile Nation for Christmas!"But Wyatt added,“Although we have a great victory for Christmas we still have to deal with the Rulemaking at US FWS that would do the same thing as S373 & HR2811. And don’t be surprised if Defenders of Wildlife tries to introduce a bill in the Senate similar to HR669 in early 2011…"

So the fight will continue, but today we celebrate a great victory for the Reptile Nation! We now have the tools, experience and voice to mount effective strategies to protect our own interests.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays & Happy New Year from USARK!

Comment - 
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:38 am

That really is great news.
Now to do the same here against EKZNW's ridiculous proposals.
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Now watch the price of boas and pythons recover quickly. When this act was suggested these species struggled to reach prices of previous years. Why invest in a snake which will cost more money to keep in future years? Now that this is over they will be back in demand.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Boadicea » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:52 am

Really really great news!Glad those bills were stymied. It makes me mad when people think that only scientists have a right to study reptiles and laypeople cant have access to them because our interest is somehow of less value to society. Look at how NASA is using private amateur astronomers in various ways to further our knowledge of astronomy. There are some things that can only be discovered by living with and loving live animals. We can know things about our animals because we interact with them without the cold objectivity of scientists. I discovered for myself that Bosch monitors are venomous.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby pinkscales » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:36 am

This is insane. Tell me how is a tops Gaboon adder threatend reptile going to be invaisive. I wont give up my Rhino Vipers or Gaboons or any of my reptiles. They will have to take me out first some one steps on my property to remove my snakes will be shot thats a promise not a threat. My animals are my life take them and you kill me too.

What can we do to stop this. This invaisive threat is just an excuse.
pinkscales
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Bushviper » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:45 am

pinkscales they said the same about the gun laws and look what happened. Hundreds of thousands of firearms were technically taken away.

The invasive list that was supposed to be published a year ago is still in limbo. It will not go away but I hope it does not get "re-worked" and then published.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby pinkscales » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Lets hope we get to keep our reptiles. Besides Nat con thats beem to my place clearly are clueless they seem to think a bearded dragon is a sungaizer. My west afrcan gaboons are easterns Jardines parrot is a some african parrot how can these people pass laws on stuff they have no clue not even when the animal is in front of them. What a joke.

I do agree that wild life needs to be proteted yes. But i dont want to have to go against Natcon why cant we just work together. Its reptile keepers and herpatolagysts soo cant spell that, that contribute to protection understanding and research on reptiles. Any was suspose it will fall on deaf ears again. All im saying no one is taking my reptiles from me without a fight hopefull it wont get violent.
pinkscales

Postby jesica » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:19 am

So will it be worth it for me to buy a snake with the new law :smt022
jesica

Postby kfc223 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Just have a look at the date on the last reply to this topic...
Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:30 pm
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jesica » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 am

Clearly you are not reading the news
jesica

Postby Phran » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 pm

personally I think the best thing to do in protest, is to ask(demand) to see the scientific report in which they conclusively prove the threat of these spiecies. And then to make these findings available to an unbiased party with suffiecient qalification on the topic, for a peer review. so that it can be determined that these findings hold their ground, and weren't just pulled out of thin air by a bunch of ignorant goverment greenies. Just my opinion
Phran
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jesica » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Well, they must find a solution
jesica

Previous

Return to News and Announcements