Do you think this works?

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Do you think this works?

Postby Rishaad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:08 pm

And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Do you think this works?

Postby Cerberus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 pm

" Snake Repel is environmentally safe. It does not kill snakes. It's a repellent. So it acts by irritating their senses and temporarily shutting down the snake's nervous system. It lasts for 3-4 weeks in any and all weather conditions."

Don't like the shutting down of nervous system part, Just does'nt sit right with me.
Going to have to see what the others say.
I Stop to smell the the roses and often forget to start again

Got so many voices in my head.... wish they would get jobs

Education is key to setting you free, For everyone else it's a rock salt stuffed 12 gauge
Cerberus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Waz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 pm

what a lame voice over. At least it may save some snakes from loosing their heads..
Warren Garvie
www.facebook.com/warrengarviepage
Waz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:53 pm

Snake Repel only works if the snake is not really cared to follow the route you are attempting to block off by spraying.
If it wants to go that way, no amount of Snake Repel will stop it.
As for all weather conditions, I highly doubt that.
I believe it would possibly work if used on window sills and under doors where snakes would wander in at their leisure. But if its chasing a gecko which runs over the Snake Repel, the snake wont stop.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mamba no 5 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Does it have any know long term effect or side effects.
How does it disable the snakes nervous system.
(insert inspiring quote here)
Mamba no 5
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Since when do geckos bother people, I mean come on how does a gecko bother your guests, I also doubt the snake repellant works.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:16 pm

I have been given some of this stuff to test and when we reach the summer months and have numerous wild caught animals brought in I will see how effective it is. I am not going to use it on long term captives or exotics.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed May 26, 2010 11:46 am

Out of interest, I tried this product last night. I sprayed a line of the product about a meter away from the bottom of my staircase which leads into the dining room. About 15 minutes before doing this test I was called to my neighbors house to remove a brown house snake from one of the cupboards and I found it fitting to use the same snake in my little test.

Without touching the snake I turned the container it was in on its side and the snake crawled out and started moving down the stairs. I stood still at the the top of the staircase and watched. When it got over the last step and got close to the product it turned around completely and moved away from it. I kept watching the snake and every time it got close to the sprayed area it turned and moved away.

I then went down the stairs and tapped the snake on it's tail to get a reaction and the snake then went right over the sprayed area.

I also tried with a very skittish common brown water snake and he also moved away from the sprayed area but when I moved toward the snake or touched it, it went right over it.

I believe that this product will work in a natural setting where the snake is not threatened, being chased or perhaps pursuing prey.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 am

Interesting rishaad, so it works to a certain degree? Do you think it harms the snake in anyway?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby boing » Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Wolf777 wrote:Since when do geckos bother people, I mean come on how does a gecko bother your guests, I also doubt the snake repellant works.

I have loads of friends who will not go and stay in a place which is my favourite holiday spot because there is gecko poo on the walls.
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ~ Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
boing
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

I don't think it harms the snake in anyway unless it is ingested or sat in for a while. It has been tested and approved by the department of agriculture and is eco friendly. I did however rinse the snakes that did go over it as to not take any chances. I like the idea behind it because I am sure many snakes will be saved from certain death by not even entering someones property in the first place.

I have a bottle of the gecko repellent as well but have not tried it as yet. My wife has this terrible fear of geckos as when she was a child a gecko was under her clothing while she was asleep and once a gecko fell into her supper. LOL

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JPWittstock » Wed May 26, 2010 1:09 pm

It works in a natural setting, if a snake is threatened or injured obviously the flight or fight response is initiated. I have watch hours of field tests and if the snake is not forced in a direction it will turn around when it gets to the demarcated area. These test were done in front of the department of agriculture, who also now use it after seeing the tests themselves.

It is not a bunch of chemicals thrown together haphazardly, it took about 2 years to get the correct formulation and necessary approval from the various government departments. It is non toxic to the snake and is formulated for use outdoors. I must be resprayed every 3 to 4 weeks because is is biodegradable and as such loses its efficacy.

JP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed May 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks for the much better explanation JP. I know that a lot of effort and time was put into this product.

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cradle of life » Wed May 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Rishaad wrote:Out of interest, I tried this product last night. I sprayed a line of the product about a meter away from the bottom of my staircase which leads into the dining room. About 15 minutes before doing this test I was called to my neighbors house to remove a brown house snake from one of the cupboards and I found it fitting to use the same snake in my little test.

Without touching the snake I turned the container it was in on its side and the snake crawled out and started moving down the stairs. I stood still at the the top of the staircase and watched. When it got over the last step and got close to the product it turned around completely and moved away from it. I kept watching the snake and every time it got close to the sprayed area it turned and moved away.

I then went down the stairs and tapped the snake on it's tail to get a reaction and the snake then went right over the sprayed area.

I also tried with a very skittish common brown water snake and he also moved away from the sprayed area but when I moved toward the snake or touched it, it went right over it.

I believe that this product will work in a natural setting where the snake is not threatened, being chased or perhaps pursuing prey.

Nice test Rishaad, however i would not have been surprised had it not worked because the product is designed to "disturb" the snakes as little as possible and can do zero harm to them. The reason i say the above is because the snake would have been a bit under stress, It was designed and patented by a very close friend of mine who spent years researching and testing it on venomous snakes i collected for him. JP also had a lot to do with the initial assistance of this product :D

Snake Repel works for snakes in their NATUARAL enviroment and when they are in a normal state of mind (not agitated or scared). It has been tested extensively as well as by SABS (requirement of Agriculture). The product will not work in a small enclosure fo rexample as the product i sdesigned to "agitate" the Jacobsons organ and is an airborne product, therefore if the snake is tested in an enclosed area then it will not work as the stuff will be all over! There are many field tests that have been run and it has definately had a huge success rate when applied correctly.

I can invite the founder to the forum if you guys need more info - however he may be to busy to oblige??

Cheers
COL
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Sounds like it could save a lot of snakes, is it expensive?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements