South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby dasie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:17 pm

I am alright thank you whitelipp
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:06 pm

As long as they do it in the privacy of their homes where no-one else is in danger or they don't give anyone else a bad name etc. I have no problem with it. They can live their lives the way they want to. I however love my life and won't risk it like that, the only venomous snakes I catch (with hooks and gloves, goggles) are snakes that are in danger of being killed or pose a threat to people, like inside a home for instance. I am not brave and shake-up everytime someone calls and says the word snake. I get a huge rush from removing any snake and haven't taken a bite from any venomous to date, not even a herald. Does playing it safe make me a pansy? Don't care, I don't need to boost my ego. Thats just me though.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:14 pm

The repercussions can be that "So many snake keepers have been bitten by snakes and cost the government money to hospitalise so from now on we will ban the keeping of exotic venomous snakes and you have to have a license which costs R2500 a year to keep indigenous venomous snakes". This has happened overseas and could easily happen here because of these snake molesters.

This is not a personal thing and these people should be shunned by the reptile community.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:55 pm

I Agree BV, but shunned in a public way. If we can show that we CAN regulate our interests then perhaps the powers that be will take a back seat - otherwsise a beaurocratic nightmare lurks.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby armata » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:52 pm

I think what I would like to see - If one of these freehandlers can expain his technique and why he believes it is safe.
I know of at least one person who believes he is protected by divine intervention.

You freehandlers are getting flack from some of the best snake handlers in the country - don't want to be elitist. But you have a channce to defend your actions in a dignified manner.
armata

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:09 am

armata wrote:I think what I would like to see - If one of these freehandlers can expain his technique and why he believes it is safe.
I know of at least one person who believes he is protected by divine intervention.

You freehandlers are getting flack from some of the best snake handlers in the country - don't want to be elitist. But you have a channce to defend your actions in a dignified manner.

Exactly!!! That is what upsets me so bad. So come on Dasie (Gideon) Please tell us your technique and explain why you think it should justify you freehandling hots?
Come now the stage is yours?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Just like 'n suspected, silence. Dasie...?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Whitelipp we can't exclude ourselves from all bitten handlers so why pick on guys that can't translate their shame.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:19 am

People need to get over the "most venomous"... The truth is we haven't got the slightest clue which snake is the most venomous as they have never been tested on humans( for obvious reasons) The ld50 test is a joke and not accurate for humans or any animal that is not a mouse.

So we have no clue if a black mamba is more venomous to a human than a boomslang or a cape cobra or vice versa.. No clue at all
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 am

You are right Yosun - shame though the clinical evidence is there if someone cares to do something with it.

I keeping hearing such hearsay as Western Cape Cobras are more toxic than those in Botswana - any proof of this???
armata

Postby Bushviper » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

I was told that light yellow Cape cobras from the Botswana/ Namibia region were milked and the venom was considered not toxic enough to be used for antivenom. The batch that came from these snakes was then thrown away. I am not sure of the exact details. I think Mike Perry mentioned this too. Will try to find out.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby dasie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:52 pm

I had no access to the internet for a time, I never said that to free handle is "safe"or anything like that. I did it with a FEW snakes but not like you think with every snake I find. Plus I can actually for with hot snakes( I see only a few people think that I can). If I am not mistaken this was not bragging about bites or anything it was a discussion about how venomous some snakes are. Were does my some snake keepers free handling fall in here ????????
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Yes, I heard this too BV. Pehaps its just a local population phenonemon; be good to find out though.
armata

Postby Whitelipp » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Dassie read from the beginin if you can. This is not personal but when you endanger the hobby it gets personal. You place pictures on Facebook how brave you are and you have smy replies when people warn you about the risks.
So mate just get off your high horse and see what you are busy with and how it puts our hobby in a bad light. Darwin!! That's all I have to say.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Barfish88 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:50 pm

get Dasie fixed before he breeds

Post was reported. Permissions now restricted.
Barfish88
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements