Busted at the border

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: Busted at the border

Postby Natcon NC » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Finally the guy today pleaded guilty and thanks to a very lenient magistrate he was fined to R5000 with a further fine of R 20 000 or 9 months which was suspended for 5 years
Natcon NC
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm sorry guys, don't get me wrong, I'm glad poachers are getting busted, but aren't we making criminals, because the legal way of doing things isn't very forward thinking? Why not allow sustainable use? I have asked this question many times and never got any real answers.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Eyelash » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:48 am

I agree 100% Michael.

In my opinion legal (sustainable) collection should be permitted and more severe fines/punishment should be implemented if not done according to the terms of or without the relevant permits. I truly believe that this is a viable solution and I'm not saying it just because it would be nice to legally herp, photograph or collect specimens in certain areas but because a working and well governed system can have many positive outcomes for us and the animals alike.

It would be great if natcon and hobbyists could work together making it a pleasant experience for all.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 am

Could we get an answer on the sustianable use question from Nature Conservation? :D
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:49 pm

This was even discussed and agreed to on a National level but the draft legislation was never taken any further. We are such a tiny source of revenue for the government there is nothing in it for them to even bother adjusting laws they know are quite possibly unconstitutional. I seriously doubt that we will ever see reasonable legislation regarding this issue.

Recently we calculated that there is quite possibly one chelonian killed for every 20 km along a certain road in KZN every day in the rainy season. During a series of veld fires in the Western Cape it was calculated that 400 000 tortoises (mainly Chersina angulata) were killed. The authorities estimated that a veld fire of that magnitude occurred every 8 to 12 years. A single pair of crows in the Northern Cape were estimated to have eaten 200 baby tortoises off the road in one year. The are hundreds of crows that patrol the roads there.

When some German scientists were monitoring geckos along a certain road near the Namibian border they counted just over 180 Chondrodactylus (Pachydactylus) angulifer within a four hour period. More than half had been killed by cars and trucks. They also found close to 30 small Bitis.

If we could apply for hunting licenses which have certain restrictions placed (like only 5 specimens per individual per year) then we can easily sort this out. I did suggest this to MPB many years ago when they were writing their new legislation but this was rejected because I believe it is easier to just say no.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby caveracer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:20 am

Howdie
I think they should focus more on the witch doctors (poachers) that actually kill the animals and start education on conservation for the people of our country. I work across from the "mutie plaza" in JHB CBD across from Eloff street and there are hundreds of dead snakes! Personally I think we have lost the whole point of protecting animals and should really revise the rules and regulations. Please don’t think I’m tying to say these guys were right in what they did but I think the focus is at the wrong place.
It’s like going after the drugies but leaving the drug dealers to rome free!
If you know it all you know nothing!
caveracer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:35 am

caveracer wrote:Howdie
I think they should focus more on the witch doctors (poachers) that actually kill the animals and start education on conservation for the people of our country. I work across from the "mutie plaza" in JHB CBD across from Eloff street and there are hundreds of dead snakes! Personally I think we have lost the whole point of protecting animals and should really revise the rules and regulations. Please don’t think I’m tying to say these guys were right in what they did but I think the focus is at the wrong place.
It’s like going after the drugies but leaving the drug dealers to rome free!

Sadly this is just the way things are.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Nature con is quick to post their anti-poaching achievements here and even use this site to stalk their potential victims but when we raise the sustainable use questions they remain silent. I wonder what the reason is? I would like to see some constructive debate arround this issue! Stop making criminals, let's work together, we are willing, are you?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Andrew » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Natcon NC wrote:Finally the guy today pleaded guilty and thanks to a very lenient magistrate he was fined to R5000 with a further fine of R 20 000 or 9 months which was suspended for 5 years

At the conclusion of the sentencing the magistrate said that this individual who was caught moving two animals without a valid permit was sentenced to 5 times more than any TIK dealer in history.
The magistrate also said that provincial state priorities were being seriously misplaced as the community is far more in need of protection than one or two snakes that are killed indiscriminately anyway.
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 am

I'd bet that that last post will get a reply from nature conservation long before the sustainable use question. I for one think the Magistrate brought up good points. Imposing fines on collectors is great as long as the same fines begin to be imposed on anyone who kills the same animals without so much as a warning.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:23 am

You guys have to keep in mind that NatconNC is still an individual and cannot always speak on behalf of every natcon authority in RSA, so cut him/her some slack.

It's actually a privilege to have him/her sharing accurate news which we probably would only have heard rumours about otherwise.

But I do agree, both points, sustainable collecting and the severity of the fines, are valid and I hope we can get a response.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby shamroth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am

It is not a privilege if he is here just to boast and gloat. If he wanted to post in his personal capacity he should maybe have picked a different name and not began his life on the forum advertising himself as nature conservation. As he has however done so he cannot be surprised that people expect inputs from him in his capacity as a nature conservation official.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Westley, officials influence policy, this official clearly has an interest in the reptile game, and thus I’m pretty sure they would also be asked to help formulate Provincial policy.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Andrew » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:58 pm

michael wrote:, this official clearly has an interest in the reptile game, .

There is a small but important piece of information not mentioned thus far.
The presiding magistrate requested the status of the animals involved.
The N/Cape Conservation Department informed the court that the animals had been photographed for evidence purposes then destroyed.

Anyone have an opinion?
To have others respect your opinion it is necessary to respect theirs. Through tolerance comes understanding.
Andrew
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shamroth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 am

That isn"t surprising. I understand the view that they wouldn't want to re-release the snakes, but they could at least have been given to a snake park or something.
shamroth
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements