Interesting article

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Interesting article

Postby Primogen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:18 am

Came across this article day, an interesting little read.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... yqxpvmSyCk.
If it is true for all snakes, then relocating call out snakes might be a useless exercise.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Interesting article

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:39 am

Hmmm, that is a tough one to swallow. I would have liked to read the entire article and to see the actual results of the tracking.

I wonder whether the full article gives reference to the method f navigation.

From the abstract is seems quite conclusive; if the pythons never veered further than 22 degrees from their required bearing, that would mean that they always stayed within a 44 (lets say 45) degree "slice" of the compass, which is 1/8 of the 360 degree circle. That's quite something! It's obviously that they were aiming to go somewhere.

Here's just a cr@p graphic I quickly made in Paint showing how accurate they really were. The snakes remained in the green slice 100% of the time, which is quite something.

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Interesting article

Postby Primogen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:44 am

Here is the full article, Its not much longer, but the results are quite conclusive.
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... l.pdf+html
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to News and Announcements