Baby girl mauled by monitor lizard

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Baby girl mauled by monitor lizard

Postby Sico » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 am

2014-09-23 16:26

Kuala Lumpur - A baby girl suffered head injuries on Tuesday after being attacked by a monitor lizard on a resort island in southern Malaysia, a news report said.

The 8-month-old suffered deep cuts to her forehead during the attack on Tioman Island in the state of Pahang, 240km south-east of Kuala Lumpur, the New Straits Times reported.

The mother, an employee at a resort, checked on the infant after hearing a loud noise in the workers' quarters and was shocked to see a monitor lizard clawing her baby's head, the report said.

The infant was rushed to a nearby clinic for emergency treatment, and transferred to a hospital on the mainland, where she was under observation.

Tioman Island is a densely forested and sparsely inhabited island popular among local and foreign tourists for its dive spots.

http://www.news24.com/Green/News/Baby-girl-mauled-by-monitor-lizard-20140923
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Baby girl mauled by monitor lizard

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Interesting, wonder what species it was. I'm skeptical about the clawing though, if anything it would have been trying to eat the child.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Baby girl mauled by monitor lizard

Postby Westley Price » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 am

Yeah that's scary stuff. I am sure people with children cringe while reading this.

I would venture a guess and say it is V. salvator because they are so common.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to News and Announcements