Whats happening?

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Whats happening?

Postby Ryuu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:32 am

Good Morning Guys..

Im Just as Much to blame as anyone else for not frequenting this forum..

But I got a few questions regarding the Decline in activity both on this form and on the internet in regards to the Reptile Trade.

Whats your Opinion?

for me its a difficult thing to witness.. Perhaps because I came into this at its Peak or slightly before? Let me try and get to the Point... I feel like the Quality of Online content has degraded.. for example when i was 16 back in 2003 the amount of interest in the reptile trade was huge.. I spent hours and hours asking question on forums and meeting new people to discuss snakes and reptiles.. it got very big in 2008 there were many Websites dedicated to certain breeds and Online stores that Imported Equipment and so on.. Yet today Most of my old haunts are giving me (404) errors they no longer Exist.. its almost as if the Dedication towards the Reptile Trade has diminished to such an extent that 1 in every 10 reptile Keepers kept their reptiles.. if that..

Could this be Money related.... could those 90% of Keepers only have kept them to make a quick buck? no one I met seemed to have truly only been after the Money.. Most People had an enormous passion that Rivaled my own and it was what Kept the Ball roiling (for me at least)

now i can only name a handful of people.. and it scares me.. it sometimes makes me feel like everyone has turned their backs to this.. accepted the fate that it will die Eventually.. and moved on..

is it the lack of new Blood? or some kind of Desensitization? (Been there Seen that) are Reptiles Losing their wow factor cause I don't see the saturated market.. the Market was 20 times bigger and it was strong.. I just cant seem to wrap my head around this..

Facebook might have Doomed the (Classic Forum) but its Still a Great Medium to use.

Let Me try and tell a simple story.. (one of Me)

I Recently Decided to make the Leap and try and get my hands on a Reticulated Python.. I finally reached the Point in my Life where i can say Im ready again for that kind of Commitment.. Now That all sounded Easy and Likely.. I had it in my mind that I would Just wait a Few days Before I could Find one.. So I started my search.. and boy let me tell you how Difficult it was.. Granted I didn't post any Wanted Adds Cause I wasn't Sure What Morph I wanted.. but all i wanted was to find a local breeder who had a small variety to choose from.. Only thing I found was Dead Ends.. No one sells them as far as I could see.. I almost gave up.. but then I decided ask bushmaster on a hunch cause i saw some old posts of him breeding them and having great success with some of the morphs. and Luckily he had some available and I am Sure I found the Perfect Retic for me..

In any case this has been bugging me.. am I out of the Loop? is there some kind of Underground Movement.. where all the Cool people are.. something that I dont Know?? or should i face the dreaded reality that we might not bounce back from this?

I know its Confusing and possibly a difficult read... but thanks for Listening.. Just my two cents..

Regards

Dean
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Whats happening?

Postby Vinzy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:31 am

I've been waiting for a post like this. Thank you for speaking and saying it - because you aren't the only one thinking it. This forum is relatively quite compared to the old days. Although, I do feel that it jumps around with activity in the year. I think after the expo this weekend the forum will boom again with questions and people showing off their new animals from the show (Or At least i hope it will).
Vinzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:40 am

as it should be.. But I also think that Either New People to the trade arent getting enough info or there isnt any new People..
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 am

Facebook has played a huge part in forums declining. It is just so much easier to post a picture to Facebook and have it immediately seen by a lot more people than on a forum. People are after that feeling they get when the picture is liked by 100 people and here on the forum you might get about 10 replies.

People are on Facebook a lot more often than on a forum, so they would rather post ads and questions there so it is seen by more people and get their results quicker.

Most people don't mind losing valuable info on the Facebook "black hole", once they get what they are after, be it answers or likes, that info is basically lost, which is sad.

There are still breeders and snakes are still as popular as before, it just seems like it is less than before 2010 because of that "black hole" and info, answers, ads, messages and pics being lost and not kept like here on the forum.

Best would be if people can spend the 5 extra minutes and post their ads, pics, questions and answers here after they post it on Facebook, then at least it will be available in years to come. But doubt that would ever happen.

Ryuu, who did you speak to about a Retic, Bushmaster in the US? Or Bushviper here in SA?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Ryuu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:14 am

ah damn.. I always Mix the Two up.. I spoke to Arno.

Yea Mitton i agree..

Facebook is quite easy to use but as you say Info gets Lost.. cause there's so much activity.. and always moving not static.

So on a Personal Note.. Regarding this Topic.. Mitton your a Prominent Breeder.. you say the demand is still the same..? that's a relief.

So perhaps this is a case of Convenience causing disarray
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:03 am

I am wondering if the new/ proposed laws have also turned away prospective keepers?

First thing i get asked about my snakes at home is are they legal even though i just keep corns.
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:11 am

Throughout my Reptile Keeping People have asked me that Question.. Its cause theres no real Communication.. eg you have to be in the reptile comunity to know those things.

But its Probably a factor aswell
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby krah » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:12 am

I belong to several reptile related groups on Facebook, and I personally much prefer this forum. The information is more detailed and clear as well as the language being more formal and understandable. I also find the general content here of a much higher standard. That being said, as a school teacher I can confirm that the youngsters definitely prefer Facebook to forums as it's easier and more convenient (as well as wanting the immediate gratification).

I've also wondered if there's been a decline in new reptile keepers due to the economy and financial restrictions, but I suppose we will have to wait a bit longer to determine that still.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:21 am

Indeed I do agree.. Most young people these day dont quite know what forms are... unless they need to be on one...
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TJ&ACP » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 pm

My two cents,
The generation of today are growing up in a flat/complex. They don’t grow up with animals and therefore no love for them.
Yes they are more on Facebook, yet are they part of a snake group? I would say no.

If you look at the amount of people going to an Expo verse being a member on a forum, not mentioning the amount joining a club (THA, WRHA) even there has been a decline.
As a general rule, the more we learn about snakes and their ways, the less fear we have of them. This is usually not so with the Mamba.
The more one learns of his ways, the greater grows the dread of him.
He, without doubt, is the King of Snakes in South Africa.
For quickness, aggressiveness, and the deadly nature of his venom, he has no equal.
F. W. FITZSIMONS, 1912
TJ&ACP
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:07 pm

I remember how intimidating the Forum was for me when I started. I observed for a very long time from the sideline. There was a respect factor towards each and every "senior" member as they had tons and tons of knowledge and experience to share.
I became a member knowing that the standard would have to be upheld by the members and that I would be able to add to the forum.

What I hate about any reptile related Facebook group or even post is that you get "Jan Rap" Identifying a Brown House snake as an Egyptian Spitting Cobra and when you try and Educate very carefully the replies are almost 80% of the time " Well I don't care what the snake is, its dead now" and that pisses me off on Facebook. Im no expert but I know a bit more about snakes than the average Facebook user and Im sure many of you feel the same way.
That said Facebook does allow for quick response but not always Quality. It has been said that this Forum was of such a high standard at one stage that it was used as a reference more than once.

This is still a great place to visit every now and again for some Reptherapy and even though I don't always post on the forum but I love it here.

There is no underground movement, this is a community and has members that will stick around and stick up for each other and together remove weeds as we have seen over the years.
However there are people out there that either don't know about SAREPTILES or think that they are better than this community. That's their choice.

The reptile forum will always have a place. Yes I don't have the same enthusiasm and excitement I had for reptiles that I had 5 years ago but I still love reps and I love my animals and I don't think it will go away soon.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:02 pm

its Sad! its very sad. Makes me feel like we have to try something...

But yea I wouldn't even know where to start
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby krah » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:11 pm

I always imagined that with the growth of complex's small pets such as reptiles would gain popularity? Could lack of exposure be the cause? Few zoos and fewer reptile parks around.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:17 pm

Well they are indeed the Perfect Pets for Complexes and so on.. it just makes sense... but it could have something to do with Exposure..

I was introduced by snakes early on.. that doesn't always happen..

This could also Just be the tip of the Problem.. We could look at it from many angles. (Exposure to Reptiles, Finances, Culture, Government Restrictions)

Im not sure.. They could all just be to busy to notice the world around them.. (Social Media)
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vrakkie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi Dean

Yes I can surely relate.
A very quick illustration is the fact that I came all the way from the Philippines to South Africa to purchase some snakes to export back home as I usually do.
I have 7 Corn Snake hatchlings up in KZN with Gavin who is keeping them for me until the ban on these animals are lifted so I can pay him and get the snakes to Cape Town.

Think it was this week that I posted a question regarding the Ban,If anybody has heard some new developments on that side as Gavin keeps me informed as he receives new updates. (I accidentally posted it in the classifieds section,my mistake),but yet,So far not a single reply.This is important info to me as I can only wait until Mid May to apply for my import permits from Philippines in order to have everything ready for my return in August.So if that date expires I will not be able to purchase the snakes from KZN.
Scenario1 : Either there is no update
or
Scenario2 : Nobody cares to reply back.
:smt006

But yes in general when I joined a few years back,the forum was much more active,but only reflects my personal experience.
But still a great forum and we should be grateful for the people who made this portal possible and make more use of it.
Vrakkie
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to News and Announcements