Hi - from Forest Hills KZN

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Re: Hi - from Forest Hills KZN

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:10 pm

If Slangman said he had a friend who bred them I see no reason to doubt that. Ive never seen a comment by him which would lead me to believe he would lie.

Nice pics, the one with the gecko, did you coerse the snake to go that way or did it just pass the gecko on its own? Thats such a cool picture.
Nice to interact with a nice species like that. Glad to see you're leaving them there.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:12 pm

MONGOOSE - How do you know for sure they were guttatus eggs? Just because they were spotted doesnt mean theyre from a Spotted housesnake ;)
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 pm

I said I'm not calling him a lair, I just don't believe that it's actually been done, that's all. If someone does something as amaizing as captive breeding guttatus, knowing that it's supposedly never been done, then surely they will document it & take photo's ect?
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:37 pm

But thats just my point. You say its supposedly never been done, but thats only because you have never heard of it. Now someone reputable tells this forum that he in fact does know of a single breeding (admits its not him), and you say you dont believe him.
Id be pretty chipped if it was me. And to be completely honest, If I did breed them I may not feel the need to tell any of the forums I frequent, unbelievable?
No need for this to escalate, I guess Ive said what I wanted to.
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:54 am

All I can add is that I would not have documented any breeding if it was me.
However, now knowing what I do as a result of this thread, if I ever manage to get hold of a pair of these I will definitely document any breeding.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:19 am

I know that DK will only believe something when he see's it but most people I know are that way and I really dont think that DK is trying to bring a reputable person down. I think we had something similar going on this very forum as well. If there are no pics then it didn't happen or something to that effect. Yes it is possible that it has been done and the breeder unfortunately did not want it to be publicized but people will only believe it when they see actual proof especially when it comes to something of this nature. I know for a fact a few people have tried to breed them, watched them copulate but unfortunately no eggs were laid. If Slangman is upset with DK then I am sure he will express his feelings on this very thread.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Slangmans mate did in fact breed them. It was very unusual circumstances as well. As far as I am aware the chap is not part of this forum currently and was not back then if the forum even existed back then. The chap managed to raise two of the babies getting them onto pinks from what i believe with relative ease.

What else will be be revealed on tonight's episode of Ripley s Believe it or not.....

I just want to state for the record that both DK and Rob hold very valid points.
In DKs defense I have myself heard this year a claim that someone bred out two clutches of Lamprophis fuscus yellow bellied house snakes - straight up tripe obviously. And without pics wouldn't believe the guy for shiznit.
But on the other end of the scale i know that there are guys out there doing spectacular stuff very secretly or modestly depending on how you look at it and the average chap will never ever come to know about these goings on.
So yes it is very possible that someone has bred these animals and not claimed it yet, but you can also be sure it is not happening with regular monotony.

My 2c
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sat May 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Good points all round. thanks chaps! :-)
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DodgeBrother » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 am

hi everyone. Need help again. Sorry no pics this time (camera batteries were flat) 2 days ago i saw this snake that looked like a stick or thin branch. My friend saw it first. Says It came out of a trench i have dug to make a new french drain for stormwater etc and was half filled with rubble. When i first saw it it was on a reedy plant (the ones that get the white flower just before it rains) been a lot of rain lately... Just the striking resemblance of a branch intrigued us. Even the way it straightened it's body. Also had little like bumps or "knots" Other thing was it's deep orange almost red tongue. when we got closer it got nervous and raised it's head and it's neck became very thin ..i.e. it's head seemed wider. but it calmly moved off and vanished as these creatures like to do. Any ideas as to what snake it is?
DodgeBrother
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 am

The snake you saw could have been a Vine snake. It does have a striking resemblance to a branch and is almost impossible to spot in a tree.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 am

That sounds very much like a Vine snake ( just from the resemblance to the stick reference)

Something like this ?

Google images.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Rishaad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 am

Vine snakes also have a red tongue and inflate their necks to appear larger when they feel threatened. It is a highly venomous species and unfortunately there is no anti venom available to treat a bite from one.

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DodgeBrother » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 am

Yikes u guys are quick. Thx for response. But no i didn't notice the black on tip of tongue. Also it's neck got very thin when it was raised- opposite to pic.
DodgeBrother
SA Reptiles Member

Postby DodgeBrother » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 am

But u may be right... if u look here ...that is more what i mean http://photovault.com/show.php?cat=Anim ... SV01P09_14
DodgeBrother
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 am

Yupp same snake, when they are relaxed they do not inflate their throat.
That is a very highy venomous snake Vine snake, there have been quite a lot coming up on call outs in the last few weeks in and around Durban.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions