NEW REGISTRATION NOTICE:
We constantly receive a surge of spam registrations. On purging these, we may have deleted your newly registered profile by accident.
If this happened please accept our apologies and re-register.
Also note that registration now requires admin approval.

If your registration is not confirmed within 24 hours, please SMS your username and email to +27 (0)82 686 5464

worms

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

worms

Postby stretch » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:03 am

Hi All

I purchased a pair of GTPs at the expo in Feb, I noticed what looks like a worm in one of the snakes faeces this morning.

They are both eating pre-killed rat pups, I have injected the pre-killed pups with Reptimed Parasite flush on the last two feeds after being advised by my local reptile shop that this might be neccessary.

Is there anything else I need to do? they are both eating well and imo as per the attached pics look good.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
stretch
SA Reptiles Member

Re: worms

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:27 am

That looks like it could be a roundworm and the parasite flush should have killed it. Some medicines kill the worm which is then defecated, whereas others break down the outer protection which then causes the snake to digest the worm. I have no idea which action the medication you are using does to the worm so this could be a dead worm being expelled or else it if was alive and moving (which I am assuming here) then you need to have medication prescribed for this specific worm.

Take the worm and preserve it in alcohol (even cane or gin will work) and take it to the vet. He can then prescribe the exact dosage and type of worm medication you need.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: worms

Postby stretch » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks BV, the worm was dead, so hopefully the parasite flush is working,

Another question how many times should I repeat the deworming, as I said I've injected during the last two feeds?
stretch
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital