Pneumonia?

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Pneumonia?

Postby Scavenger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:34 pm

I recently acquired a aurora house snake on wednesday, that doesn't look to good it has been making a "wheezing" sound and today started coughing up white saliva? which I believe are all the symptoms of pneumonia? Should I take the snake to a vet? or are there any home remedies to deal with this? I've seperated the snake from my collection and will be monitoring all of them. Knowing how difficult auroras can be does anyone have advice for me?
Thanks Scavenger
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Pneumonia?

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm

Changed the substrate recently? Did with my baby bloods and they picked up allergies with the same symptoms. Changed substrates and increase heat and they now coming right.

For pneumonia heat increase is best (to get their immune systems up and running). If you have e-mulch then the two in combo works well. Know BV has a very good home method. BV?
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Well my best advise is heat , push its heat up!! put it in a small container with a clean towel of sort and fresh clean water bowl, and monitor it daily, there is unfortunately not that much you can do!

well that is what my one book says!
I have luckily not experienced this yet!! (thank god!!) , but I am prepared for it! if it happens, got a book that covers all diagnoses of common illnesses amongst reptiles, and you have respiratory infection there mate, it is not " contagious " according to the book but I would have done the same and separate it from my collection.

I know a woman who lost her ball python the other day, she had for a couple of days and it died, quickly! so you got to move quick bud!!

Good luck, and all the best!!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Scavenger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:49 pm

I've only had the snake since wednesday so don't know what the enclosure was like before. I had it on E-mulch on the day I got it, but changed it to newspaper when the snake started wheezing (suspecting it was the mulch). I've already increased the temperature of the enclosure. The snake seems very lethargic and I sometimes see it with it mouth open. Seriously concerned :(
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks warbot, knowing auroras they can go down hill very quickly but I hope I can pull this guy through. Will up the temp thanks for the advice.
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Scavenger. I can not remember the topics name, but it was an old one where someone picked up that one of their boas had an allegy to the mulch. His other boas were fine, but this one wheezed too.

Put it in a plastic container with luke warm water (28 - 29). The water must cover the bottom of the container. Put it next to the heating pad and monitor the temp that it does not get too hot (no more than 28 - 29). The plastic container MUST have air holes. The snake can not breath properly and the humidity helps loosen the slime. Need to do this ASAP!
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Ok will do it now thanks
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:08 pm

snakes can't cough like us, the head raised with mouth open is a sign that they are struggling to breathe, take it out of the enclosure you currently have it in and I would suggest a Critters tank, and use like I said a clean towel, so what ever it is allergic to in the enclosure will not be there, clean its mouth an ear bud from time to time getting the slime out.
And fresh clean water, and a lot of heat 24/7 until it is healthy again.

this is the best advise I can give you!

good luck again!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Serpy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:38 pm

I've used a few methods with success. The container with heated water works well, so does just upping the heat and temps. Baytril will also work wonders
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Ok thanks everyone spoke to legless dragon, got the snake set up in warm water and will be monitoring him and then getting it to the vet tomorrow.
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Let us know what happens.

Sorry if I sounded hurried on the phone. You Caught me at the shops and people were crowding me lol! (Ps - ever start talking about snakes at a till and you will have heads turn!)

Hope all goes well.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 pm

PS - Got this method from BV. Works like a charm.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:57 am

The snake is now at the vet on a course of anti-biotics, so I just pray everything goes according to plan. Will keep everyone updated on the progress.
Thanks
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:42 pm

Holding thumbs for you.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Got news today from the vet (not very good news), unfortunately the snake doesn't seem to be responding to the meds so they are increasing the amount over the weekend. So I am just praying this little guy pulls through, though it doesn't sound to good at all :(
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile Hospital