Carpet python not eating.

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Carpet python not eating.

Postby greggo13 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi Everyone

I have a Juvenile Carpet python about 11 months old. She has always eaten very well on rat weaners, dead or alive. About 5 weeks ago I moved her into a smaller tank as I am re-vamping there old one. Since then she has not eaten I have tried Mice, Rat pink, Rap Pups, Rat weaners. dead and alive. She is not interested at all.

She looks very healthy still and is very active at night. I have even tried feeding her at night in a tub and in her tank.

Could it be the change of tank?
Change of seasons?

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg
greggo13
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Carpet python not eating.

Postby greggo13 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Here is a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greggo13
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi greggo

Firstly, keep the cage nice and clean. Snakes often get skin infections due to dirty cages and I see it's laying in a bit of faeces there, although I'm sure you try keep the cage clean.

Looks for spots on it's skin that's pink or orangey in colour. That's an indication of "scale rot" and that would certainly stop her eating.

That's the worst case scenario. Most probable case is that she's just getting used to her new cage. Make sure the temps are correct and leave her be for a week or two to settle.

After giving her time to settle, leave her with a mouse fuzzy over night in a small, well ventilated tub and see how it goes.

I hope she starts feeding for you again. Good luck.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:42 pm

@Westley - Been there today to collect rats. The cage is spotless. I think Greg took the pic just before cleaning.

The snake is slightly underweight. The male and female are housed together (or at least when I was there). They are still small for breeding and I don't think they want to breed with them just yet. I don't know if this could be the problem or not. Any advice on trying to get this snake eating again is needed. I am worried about it's weight.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby greggo13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the replies.

I clean my cages weekly and put fresh water in daily. The other Carpet python is eating no problem and they have always stayed together. Should I take her to a Vet??? Can a vet actually do anything???

Thanks Greg
greggo13
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:00 pm

In that picture that snake looks nice and fat. If it was eating before and stopped 5 weeks ago it is not too much too worry about yet.

Keeping them together would not affect eating that much. You say you have tried feeding her in a tub and in her tank, how did you do it before she stopped eating? Is the other one removed during this time? You should always feed in seperate containers if snakes are kept together.

Maybe remove the one that is eating for a few days and cover the front of the cage with a towel so she can not see any movement outside. Spray the cage (not the snake) early evening and then drop a small mouse in, do not bother her when doing this and put the towel back over the glass. Leave her over night and see the next day.

You say the cage is smaller, how big is it and what are the temps like? Do you have a thermostat that controlls the temp or just a timer? Is there enough space to regulate temps. Is the hot and cool areas big enough for both snakes, maybe the one that is eating take the best spot and this one can't get comfy.
That is maybe a reason to remove that other one till this one is eating again and the orriganal bigger cage is ready and they can have enough space each to find the perfect spot to sit.

I would not go to a vet just yet, try a few more things.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Vets in our area are a bit of a problem. Helderkruin on CRSwart is about the best, but I would rather first try a few ideas before going that route.

Stupid question (only thought of it now lol) - have you tried intro-boost? It sometimes gives them an appetite and they start eating again.

PS - I think your cages are brilliant! Still like the rats too. Felt bad feeding them to my snakes again, but my snakes say thanks!
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby greggo13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:15 pm

I have got them in a 900 budget tank.

Warm side Day 30 degrees night 27 degrees
Cool side Day 27 degrees night 24 degrees
Humidity is about 65

Im not sure if it is a space problem as they have lots to climb on, and they sometimes lie together.

Where can I get intro boost? how does it work?

I will try separating them and doing the towel thing. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

Greg
greggo13
SA Reptiles Member

Postby greggo13 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Mitton You are a CHAMP!!

I put snakey in a smaller feeding tub, put her in the tank with one dead mouse and two dead rat pups. covered it with a towel, left her for an hour and Presto! she ate the mouse!

Thanks a mill!! I am breathing a lot easier!!

Greg
greggo13
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:06 am

Congrats!!! Mitton knows his stuff!
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jennyj » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:25 am

I want to buy it, what all you suggest for me?
jennyj

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm

jennyj wrote:I want to buy it, what all you suggest for me?

Jenny this post is about 3 years old. If you want a carpet python speak to Mitton. He has some nice stock at the moment.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Reptile Hospital